Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna tailrace

Default Eklutna tailrace

Went yesterday after work to soak some eggs didnt see a dang thing and the water was REALLY low, about only a foot and a half deep in the middle, read somewhere they'd turned off the water at the powerplant for maintenance.

Gave up on kings and started playing with the swarms of small (4-6") graylings in there.

Any words on if the water is back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Went yesterday after work to soak some eggs didnt see a dang thing and the water was REALLY low, about only a foot and a half deep in the middle, read somewhere they'd turned off the water at the powerplant for maintenance.

Gave up on kings and started playing with the swarms of small (4-6") graylings in there.

Any words on if the water is back on?
    Were the grayling in a biting mood? Near the confluence??

Jon

This is an excerpt pulled from an article in ADN published on Thursday:

"...One angler in a local online fishing chatroom this week reported water levels at the Tailrace only three feet deep, limiting anglers. He speculated the Eklutna Power Plant shut off its water supply for an annual cleaning.

The angler was mostly correct. Patti Bogan of Chugach Electric said the power plant is down for maintenance. Workers cut off the water flow from Eklutna Lake that drains into the tunnel leading to the power plant.

It should be up and running today or Friday, Bogan said."

(Link to complete article: http://www.adn.com/fishing/story/420137.html)

Sooo..anyone been there Friday?

Was there today -- water was still low and cloudy. I heard the power plant will be back on next week (Wednesday?). There are a bunch of SMALL dollies and jacks and undetermined small inch-sized salmon fry (it looks like something has successfully spawned --chums, silvers, kings?) -- the gulls were picking them off and other small fish.

Those small fish are probably released from the hatchery up stream, they did it last year at about this time. You couldn't leave your eggs in the water for longer than a minute before they picked them clean.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I think the appearance of the fry (tons of them) in late April/early May is consistent with being naturally spawned. Could they be escapees from the hatchery -- maybe --but I thought the hatchery released somewhat larger than 1 to 2 inch fish. There is also a lot of 4-5 inch and 8-12 inch fish running around, which I would consider being the result of the hatchery. Lastly, I do not think a successful spawn is out of the question at tailrace -- moreover, the odds are it will happen.

Went this morning and the water is still really low. Only a couple of feet deep in most places. Water in the river really low as well. No signs of any fish. There were alot of people trying their luck but everyone that I talked to said that they had not seen anything all morning. Hopefully the power plant will get the water going again soon.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Was at the tail last evening, this morning and this evening. Nothing biting for anyone. Altogether fantastic couple of days to be out there though. Weather was prime. Great to be out.

Hope someone will post when the runs start coming in.

Default >>>--------->

Had they turned the spigot back on yet?

I read on the other forum that the power plant is running and water level is coming up

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I read on the other forum that the power plant is running and water level is coming up
    From my experience, it will take about a week (give or take) for the fish to show after the shut off the water. No water = no fishies

And this gets me to thinking, how many kings originally destined for the hatchery wind up "lost" and thus spawning in the Eklutna River? After all, it is the same water coming from the same source.

A few get lost all the way up to Jim Creek.

Talking King fever

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    From my experience, it will take about a week (give or take) for the fish to show after the shut off the water. No water = no fishies

And this gets me to thinking, how many kings originally destined for the hatchery wind up "lost" and thus spawning in the Eklutna River? After all, it is the same water coming from the same source.
    Great I get home from work in a week I live about 10 mins from the race. Interesting thought I hope it is the combo of Knik river and Eklutna water that bings them in.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Dear fellow Butt(e)heads, after the 3rd of June I will be out everyday on the tail water. I will be posting a report daily. I'm four miles away.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Cool Beans

Great Big Al I'll see ya there

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Great Big Al I'll see ya there

Not if I get there first!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Dear fellow Butt(e)heads, after the 3rd of June I will be out everyday on the tail water. I will be posting a report daily. I'm four miles away.
    The correct term is "butins" lik mutins with a B

Smile Killing me

not fair wild poking at a guy when he is caged. I really need my fishing fix reading the forums are killing me. Lujon that was to funny butins lol

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

buttant (n)
    'Them that live between the bridges.' Commom name for the species Homo Buttiens. Some identified subspecies include H. Buttiens Twostrokies, commomly seen creating dust clouds along the roadways, and H. Buttiens Lazymountaini, a 'purebread' form of buttant that believes itself to be a separate species, but still leaves broken-down snow machines in it's front yard.

butation (v)
    A strange change or series of changes (both physical and psychological) occurring in formerly normal humans currently residing the the area of Butte, Ak, especially Deep Butte. Believed to be caused by glacier wind and reindeer farm essence.

One of the most misunderstood subspecies is H. Buttiens jimcreeki, assumed by many to be a dangerous, trouble-making nocturnal creature found on or near the Knik river. Acutally, this is a case of confused taxonomy, and close DNA testing will prove that the feral beasts in question are actually Homo Muni Scumbaggus, an invasive migratory species.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The correct term is "butins" lik mutins with a B
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Least we forget: The name that was fought over by the Mat-Su burrough was the name spelling. One faction of the fight was for the spelling, ButtX, that name spelling was only defeated by one vote.

On the opposing side, you had the Montana contingent. Nostalgia winning the day.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast