Thread: Pack weight

Default Pack weight

Whats the most weight you would want to carry on your pack? I did 72# last week on an easy trail about 5 miles. This weekend I'll have a inflattable kayak and I'm guessing it will be around 95#. I should only have to go 2-3 miles.

It all depends on the goal. For a strictly backpacking trip, I like to keep it under 50lbs if possible. I've carried around 150, though I was happy to do so with the results of a successful hunt on my back.

Yeah, I've done around 120 with a 1/4 elk carcass... but strictly backpacking, the most I've done is about 60-65, with a week's supply of food and a 12 gauge. That said, I would much, much, MUCH prefer to keep it under 35... especially if it's steep.

Smile Backpacking weights

Hi

When my husband and I go out, we always try and stick to the guideline that you shouldn't carry more than 25% of your body weight. We always weigh our packs at the start and the end of each trip. For a 7 day trip, Geoff usually starts with about 43 pounds and I start with around 38 pounds. This weight includes a bear canister each, all our food, and our drinking water for the first day. We have made a real effort over the years to keep the weight down, using an ultralight tent, pocket rocket stove, light sleeping bags etc.

With these kind of weights we generally plan to hike between 8 and 12 miles a day quite easily, and occasionally have covered 15 to 17 miles per day with no difficulty.

I have to be honest, I wouldn't like to be carrying any more weight and neither would Geoff. We like to be able to hike without really thinking about
    what we're carrying.

It is interesting to weigh your packs at the end of the trip too - ours are usually about 10 pounds lighter each. That must be the amount of food we eat over 7 days!

Chrissie

What if you're fat...haha...does the 25% rule still go. Just joking. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    What if you're fat...haha...does the 25% rule still go. Just joking. Thanks for the tip
    I was thinking the same thing. For me 25% is 65lbs. I better not be setting off for a 5 mile hike with #65 on my back unless its a hike back to the truck with meat on my back or I am carrying equipment out to do something like retreive a stuck jet boat

Quote Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
    Hi
    We have made a real effort over the years to keep the weight down, using an ultralight tent, pocket rocket stove, light sleeping bags etc.
    You mean you have spent real money. No shame though. Getting the ultralight tent, ultralight sleeping bag, maybe a titanium cook set and even an ultralight pack will make a huge difference (10-15lbs) in pack weight. Personally, not having invested in the good stuff, when backpacking I can't seem to breach the 40 lb mark, and of course when any other activity is involved pack weight can only go up.

A good way is to pack for your hike and after when at home unload the pack.

pile 1 every thing you used plus safety gear
    pile 2 might have used but didnt
    pile 3 never used

Now load pile 1 in pack and leave 2&3 at home.