Thread: Lights and torches for halibut

Default Lights and torches for halibut

What has your experience been with using torches and lights on your halibut rigs? are they worth it and how much do they help? Thanks for your help!

I saw no difference. I would save my money.

I saw a difference in WA state - - wasn't the most scientific study, but did seem to make a difference. I'll keep wasting my 4$ per trip for lights (torches didn't work very well or consistently and overpriced) - chem lights properly attached seem to work...at least down south.

I think the lights work pretty well. My wife won't let her line go down without one on. The more expensive ones work a lot better than the cheap ones.

The only differance i saw was out of 4 people fishing on the boat with in 3ft of eachother I was the only one that caught 3 fish I have some rigs for sale on the for sale section check them out for referance when building your own if you need some help pm me

Any other thoughts guys? I know a lot more of you fish halibut and i would love your opinion!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default i havent used them

but from what i have read and my personal opinions is that they would be pretty useless unless fishing deep. up to 100 feet i belive there is pretty good light. these fish that live at the depths are pretty used to the light (or lack of) situation and adapt jsut fine without someone lighting there way. movement, sound transmissions and scent is what id focus on more than light and id probably go with a glow jig or grub tail before i attatched another gizmo to my halibut rig.

We have tried several different types of lit or glowing devices and haven't been able to say without a doubt that it helped in any way. It was suggested to also try these things in shrimp pots and we were unable to see any difference there either. Only weird thing we saw once was with one particular light, all the shrimp in that pot were an freaky color. Most important thing imo is location, location, location.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Only weird thing we saw once was with one particular light, all the shrimp in that pot were a freaky color.

Whoa, trippy man.

Red face Light me bite me

I used one once got it at the sportsman show. I was fihing a couple of hrs with no action decided to try it on a spread bar in about 10 mins had a hit nice 60# butt caught a couple smaller also. was fishing 250' I hope it was the light that helped. I will try it again was nice to have diffent gear to try when the fishing gets slow. Next item I want to try is a caller.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Next item I want to try is a caller.
    I have one of these!!!!

BIG DAVE'S FISH CALLERItem #: 357-F
    You've seen imitations on TV and you have heard rumors about it at the bait shop…Now it is available to everyone!

This past weekend we put some time in halibut fishing waiting for soak time on the shrimp pots some spots sitting for 6hrs. or more. I made some rigs up with yellow glow hootchies and the blue lights from b&j commercial. now in the spots that were productive I caught the 3 fish using this rig as there were 4 of us fishing. Now to see if it was just my luck i let my buddy's gf use A rig I made with the same set up but with an 11/0 hook, after loosing the bite for about 2hrs. and trying everything in the arsenal and even jigging til my arms were jello we decided to call it quit's for the night. my buddy's gf reeled up about 30ft off the bottom and stopped as she didn't want to reel up the last 370ft so I finished my sandwich and about 3min. later grabbed the rod started reeling and noticed the pole kept bending over further as I reeled so I picked up the rod and started lifting up and reeling down yelling fish on, it lasted about 5sec. and then the line started pulling out of the reel well that lasted about 5sec. then it was off. Now I can't tell u it was the light that brought the fish in but being 30ft. off the bottom I don't think it was the bait as I think the bait had little scent left after a 2hr. soak. After having the only fish on and brought to the boat on these rigs with the lights I will still continue to use them as they proved to me last weekend they work. We were fishing out of whittier in an average of 400ft.

Talking you got one to

wow you got one to drifter I just wonder how well those callers work

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Thumbs up

Tried them early on last season and got every one of our fish on a rod with a light. Three rods without and three with. I'm completely sold and have twenty of them on the boat now. By the way, not one of them ran out of battery or quit working all summer and they all still blink this year.
    Side note:
    My neighbor came over at two in the morning last year on a rainy night because something was left on in my boat. When I climbed in there were bloinkers everywhere.
    I use the B&J ones.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.