Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots for braided line

Default Knots for braided line

I am going to spool up with 30 lb. Sufix braid this year, and was wondering what you guys are using for knots.

Both for braid-to mono and to terminal tackle.

I have heard that braid may be more critical than mono about the type of knot and the skill with which it is tied.

Some say it needs to be doubled before tying to your swivel, snap etc., does anyone else do this?

How about glue on the knot?

Any experience or input is welcome, thanks. HH

For tying to terminal tackle (hooks, swivels) use a palomar knot.

Default king fishing?

I pray to God that this is not for a sockeye rig? Kings - yes, reds no (please!!)

2nd the Palomar

Yes for kings. I use a fly rod for reds.

But why not for reds?

And please not for kings if you're combat fishing. Braid tends to make more of a mess when tangled, and damages the other guy's mono.

Palomar is a good knot, or an improved clinch...make a loop through the eye, then wrap 6 times, then run the tag end through the loop, and back through the bigger loop you just made. Easier to do than explain. Kinda like this one in the animation...but I run the line through the hook eye twice, making a cricle of line before wrapping...

http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php

I just found that link...might come in handy for other knots..I'll have to look at some of 'em.

Basically tie their Trilene Knot, but finish it off like they do the Improved Clinch. Otherwise, the knot might slip with braided line.

And there I've done it: Made a very simple know sound extremely confusing.
    Last edited by AKRoadkill; 05-30-2008 at 11:38. Reason: More info...but maybe i should have left it alone?

I use a palomar or a figure eight loop for my braid.

Braid rocks...............when your alone.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Palomar for braid to terminal.

Albright for braid (working end) to Mono (standing end).

Figure-8 Arbor knot for braid to spool.

Polamar all the way for braided for terminal tackle

Default no knots

man i love em.. anybody else use em..

Braid to terminal tackle: Palomar. Easy to tie and very strong. But, I use mono for all my light (non-salt) rigs. I like the added stretch for a softer touch on the hookups (less chance of pulling out on a light bite). For the salt, I like the braid because it's thinner than mono in the same weight class, which means less drag in the water (can use less weight), I can feel better at depth, and I can spool up more on the reel. I've never had the need to tie mono to braid, so I can't help you there...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Uni Knot for terminal. (Double the line for more strength). Albright for braid to mono or Uni-to-Uni for braid to mono (faster and easier than Albright)

For terminal connections I use the Palomar or a 6-7 turn uni. For braid to mono a 6 turn uni up to 40 lbs. 50 lbs use the 30 turn bimini in the braid with the worm knot followed by a 3 turn uni to make the connections. 80 lb and up gets a sleeve with the mono 3' into the sleeve and served or a spectra loop if using loop to loop connections to your leader.

just fish it for a day, you'll have all the knots you can handle
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The uni knot
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks to those who have provided ACTUAL INFORMATION. .

powdermonkey, have you used Sufix braid before?
    Last edited by HarryHyde; 06-04-2008 at 12:57. Reason: correct syntax error.

Default Second the Uni

I am all for the Uni Knot; very easy and extremely strong. If you do use braided for combat fishing, make sure you have a nice 10' leader of mono or fluorocarbon. You will have less wrap ups and a better drift with a long leader. The uni is a great knot all around; line to line with any material or line to hook/swivel for anything else.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Palomar, and I run my braided line through 80# dacron for about a foot which further increses the strength of the knot. I'll have to post a picture of the setup.

Yes please on the pictures, Paul!!
    My initial testing of this line with the Uni knot made with doubled line, to a swivel, indicates very high knot strength. It broke several times at 30-33 lbs on the spring scale.
    Have yet to try it to mono, etc. Will do that soon because its past time to be rigged up for kings.

Default My way...

For braided I use a variation of the palomar...basically make a loop, run end of loop through eye and then completely over hook/swivel.

For mono I use a improved clinch but run the line through the eye of the hook/swivel twice (kinda like the Trilene knot).

For tying lines together I use an improved clinch for each end...using the other line as if it were the eye of the hook/swivel. Pull tight and both knots tighten up at once thin and straight.

I use an arbor knot to the spool, and if it's a spinning real I add a few half-hitches over the spool.

Believe it or not, I also use a variation of the arbor knot on my flies, even the smallest of dry flies...running the main line through the eye, then putting the loop over the rear of the fly body and pulling tight. This leaves no knot on the eye (which can distort the presentation or make the fly unbalanced at the eye). The knot simply pulls tight against the fly's body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast