Thread: probably a dumb question, but what technique for river salmon do you use?

Default probably a dumb question, but what technique for river salmon do you use?

here for salmon and steelhead, we do what we call bottom bouncing. you rig looks like this. (excuse my terrible ms paint skills)

the thing to the left of the really bad looking swivel is a slinky. its para cord with split shot in it. you put your line through it. then tie on a swivel. then tie on 4-6 feet of leader, then you fly, spawn, whatever. will this work in AK? we also use wobble and spin glows, but probably smaller than what would be used up there.

if this doesnt work, or is not recommended, what do you use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use something very similar for spin-n-glo rigs when casting from shore. My leaders are a little shorter, about 2 feet or so, and I use a slide with a teardrop-shaped casting weight instead of the slinky.

yeah, this we be from shore, so it sounds like i should pretty much be using the same techniques. what pound leader do you like to use?

I use 30 lb mono main line and 30-40lb for a leader. Some folks like a leader slightly lighter than the main line, so you don't lose the entire rig when it breaks, but I figure the main line will stretch more than the short leader when I cross their eyes with a hookset, so I want the leader a bit stronger.

is there any other techniques/baits that i should be aware of or try? i think there are silvers in the area i am going, what is noramlly used for them? thanks
    adam