Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft Alaskan 26' What options are a MUST?

Default Hewescraft Alaskan 26' What options are a MUST?

I just put an order in for a new Hewescraft Alaskan 26' with head and Dinette/Heater. I was wondering what you guys with this boat have or wish you would have gotten as options?

Motors? twin 115's or twin 150's or single 250 w/kicker.
    can you troll with the twins?

Fuel tank. Should I get the largest available. Im in Dutch Harbor!

Anchor system?

Seats?

Pot puller? (for King Crab)

Down riggers?

What should I put in it for electronics?

Any other suggestions welcome, Thanks

Default Well, I don't....

.....know anything about a 26' Hewescraft, but all of those options you mention sound like a must if you are in Dutch Harbor. One thing I do know for sure though - and that is...IF I had me a set of twins, I would sure try to troll them

Default Options?

I would definitely go with the largest fuel cap available. Dewey's orders them (at least when I bought mine) with 160 standard. I originally had twin 115s, repowered with twin 150s and definitely recommend! Would have been cheaper to start out that way. I think the 115s are absolute min, don't know about the single-motor option. Consider getting some kind of heater installed if you use it in particularly cool weather. I don't have a windlass, but I don't mind using the buoy method. I love the downriggers, electric auto-retrieve. And get the biggest screen you can afford on your sounder/plotter! Enjoy your new toy!

Chris

If one of the options include a rear helm station I would absolutely add it.

When I ordered my boat I was sort of talked into ordering a macerator fish hold pump out. Turned out it is probably one of the nicest options I could of purchased.

If it were me ordering this boat I would go with the biggest single outboard that could be fitted to the boat and then add the Yamaha HT 8 0r 10 hp kicker. I would choose a Optimax (first choice) or Etec over a Yammie. With one of the newer direct injection 2 strokes there are no valves to adjust, no oil to change, they are lighter, and more fuel efficient than a comparable 4 stroke.

Explore your options carefully and make sure the boat is correct for you and your family.
    Tennessee

Post Must Have Options

I currently own a 26' Alaskan with a head (no galley or dinette).

I would go with twin 150's so that one motor can get you back home. We troll with one motor running. (The 115's are a bare minimum.)

Get the largest fuel tank available (which used to be 160 gals).

Add an electric anchor winch.

Suspension seats are great, but most don't fit on Hewescraft due to space.

Downriggers are a must in my book.

Add the biggest/best Garmin plotter you can afford and fit in.

Add a Yamaha fuel management gauge to monitor fuel consumption.

Radar would be a nice option (I don't have one, wish I did).

Make sure you have electric trim tabs.

Add a light commercial pot puller (like Safe-T-Hauler).

I have to have a magnetic whiskey compass in mine.

Now you're set to go.

I read through the list, but didn't see a rocket launcher. You can put all of your poles, landing nets,and bang stick up and out of the way but in reach. If your deck is a self bailing deck I would get a raw water(salt water) wash down pump. Plus I would get a huge bilge pump, or twin medium sized pumps. Taking on water is not fun! On the teckie side you can look into a depth finder,plotter,radar unit. One of those all in one type. It will keep the dash clean. Congratulations and happy boating. If you listen to every one man I hope you have deep pockets. This would be the ultimate toy. KB

Default Thanks

For all the great information. Price is starting to be a concern due to shipping and all the extras. I may have to choose between the bigger engines like the 150's or the galley/heater. Which one would you sacrafice? The one big motor may be a good option. Can you troll with a 150 or are they just to big? Do I need a trolling plate? I ordered a 09' so I still have about a month to decide on options before its made.

Thanks again for the help.

As far as price goes, I could go with the 24' and have both the 150's and the galley/heater but would sacrifice the 2' deck space.

Default 150's

I have twin 150's on my boat and troll all the time. No problems.

I own a 26' Twin 115 is what I have. I love them but I have learned that one 115 won't get you on step. If I could do it again I would go with twin 150.

I have the 160 gal tank and love it. Never can have to much gas on the water.

One thing I did was get 4 flush mount rod holders. This has been awesome having.
    Get the electric wench to pull your anchor once you like doing it the old fashion way with the buoy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

See my signature for my configuration. I pretty much put almost everything I could think of on the boat, except I didn't take the galley. Personally, I think it was the right move for me, but I did add the Magna stainless grill for cooking on deck. Since then, I've added a canvas top enclosing the rear of the boat for overnighting and inclement weather, and a 9.5' Alaska Series dinghy on top. Mine has the medium duty suspension seats that I changed the springs out to take the heavier load (read -> me).

I went in wanting the 150's and let them talk me into the 115's. I have no complaints really, but the 150's would probably be the better choice, and I do troll on one engine (I alternate back and forth).

One note on the electronics, I bought the Garmin 3010c combo chartplotter, which Garmin promply orphaned this year. Go with the 4012, or even the 5000 series, you won't regret it.

Enjoy, and remember - if you run out of money, just go make some more.

Cheers,

SH

Default sacrifice

I couldn't not get the 150's or heater if I were you, would be my top 2 priorities. The rest you can piece together as you go along, i.e. anchor winch, downriggers, pot puller, even trim tabs (electric tilt/trim on your 150's will do almost anything you need anyway as far as planing out)....If you absolutely have to do it though get the 150's, wait on the heater. My .02.
    Have fun!

Also there are 3 different size cabins. I got the extended one. Gave up some deck space, but it is worth it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

There is no use getting twins if the boat won't plane on one engine. You can limp in at 10 mph plowing a huge wake while burning up your last remaining good motor, or you can limp in at 6mph under the power of a happily buzzing kicker. And, bad fuel will not all go to one engine...

Get a big single and a 9.9 yam kicker. Don't bother with remote control on the kicker, unless you control it from a second helm in the cockpit. Kicker control via tiller and extension does everything well (trolling, mooching, controlling drift). Same with remote control in the cockpit, because you can still hold a rod. Kicker control from the front helm is worse than useless.

If you're worried about bad fuel, keep a separate tank on board for your kicker.

Get rocket launchers. Lots of them.

my next big thing for the boat is what SH has. The cover for the boat... many days spending a night out there on the boat when it's raining. Everything gets wet in side the cabin when it rains and people are going in and out of the cabin. With a top everything will stay for the most part dry.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Cabin Size

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Also there are 3 different size cabins. I got the extended one. Gave up some deck space, but it is worth it.
    I also got the larger cabin. Still wont be built until late July though. Bummer.

Default Just ordered

I have ordered a 26` Hewescraft with twin 150 Yami`s---Also the Garmin 5212 bundle with 18`hd radar perched on a radar tower. The baby should be delivered on 26June--am pacing the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I also got the larger cabin. Still wont be built until late July though. Bummer.
    You won't regret that. The larger cabin has been put to good use.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    I have ordered a 26` Hewescraft with twin 150 Yami`s---Also the Garmin 5212 bundle with 18`hd radar perched on a radar tower. The baby should be delivered on 26June--am pacing the floor.

Stop pacing and go out and buy some gear for it. never can have enough toys on it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default bring your check book............

Sat. phone, 2 VHF's, one a hand held, EPIRB, 900 feet of anchor line, buoy and a over sized windless, sea anchor, hand held GPS, extra compass, back up depth finder, best fish finder/chart plotter/mapping unit you can afford. Rear view mirror so you can watch friends/family in back when moving, all the coast guard required stuff, BIGGEST GAS TANK you can get. All of the motor options everyone else listed will work. I run twin 115 hp Yamahas and they work fine. Never push the weather/seas envelope. Have fun!

Default 26'

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    Did you go with the Alaskan or the Pacific Cruiser?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast