Thread: Redshirt lake fishing

Default Redshirt lake fishing

I booked two nights in a cabin on red shirt lake (part of nancy lake SRA) in the middle of July. I read the description on the website and booked it because it sounds cool. The cabin is on an island in the middle of the lake and you have to rent a canoe to get to it. After doing a little more research I am beginning to worry that the fishing will be slow. Has anyone fished this lake at this time of the year? I guess the only fishing to be had is for pike? I will have my 7 year old twins with me and I was hoping the pike fishing would be fast-paced enough to keep their interest. Thanks in advance for any info.

Default try the various creeks

I've fished redshirt a few times - always had best luck for pike while fishing the mouth areas of the creeks that feed into the lake. Can't say that the action has ever been "hot and exciting" though - more like work. Have caught fish there on Rapala's trolled behind the canoe, chunks of herring, spinning lures, and the ocassional mouse fly. Consider buying a couple packages of steel leader in order to keep your lures from being bitten off your line. Also, pike mouths are very tough, getting a solid hookset is sometimes difficult. Had many fish up to the canoe that I thought I had hooked well but then they just decide to "let go" of my bait and swim away. That's always a bit frustrating. Oh yeah, make sure to take some sort of glove with you for handling the fish - they are somewhat sharp and spiny on their backs - and can give you a good poke.

Remember to take some bug dope, too.

God bless.

I use to fish Redshirt years ago, but haven't recently. We rented the canoes from Tippie canoe...I believe. There was a reedbed on the opposite side of lake from where the canoes were kept that held a lot of pike. We stayed just a little off those reeds and used herring. You could see the wake being made by the pike coming out of the reedbed to get the herring, it was a blast and a change of pace from Salmon fishing. For the life of me I can't remember what time of year it was though, sorry. Good luck.

Default Herring

I would recomend bringing bait. Herring can at least doubble your catch rate with pike. Bobbers for the kids would be best I'd say. I haven't done Red Shirt but I fish for pike elseware and herring always works the best for me. Though I love to use surface lures also. I have heard about the stream mouth across the lake is a good spot though and also the weedy areas. Take a look at the lake using google earth to find the streams that lead in to it. Tippie canoe has canoes at the lake to rent. You need to call them to arrange renting one. They have a website and an office at the rolly lake campground. You pick up the gear there and carry it in. The canoe will but locked up at red shirt lake the trail so you dont have to carry it. Red Shirt is also a large lake so be carefull out there.

Default another thing

Also, the hike into RedShirt lake is apprx 3 1/2 miles, so pack accordingly. Dependent upon the weather and the grass conditions along the trail, you may want to have rain pants/jackets easily accessible on the hike...I remember making the hike one time and by the time we got to the lake I was completely soaked just from having the tall wet grass rub against my clothes as we walked the trail.

Yes, Redshirt is also a fairly large lake and some of the coves are quite similar in appearance. If you rent one of TippeCanoe's canoes (is that redundant?) make sure to pay attention to details as you paddle out of the cove - makes things easier finding your way back. You might consider bringing some bright colored trail ribbon along to adorn a tree with as a signpost for which cove to paddle back to. Have fun and respect other's properties...a lot of the property on the lake is private.

Default bring a little of everything.

The water will be warm in July, so the pike are more likely to hit rapalas and other buzz baits during the day. Use bait in the morning and at night when it is cool. Look for weed beds, little creek openings and other tiny little cut back areas. They will hold some pike. I haven't fished this lake but from experience in other places, the best thing to do is keep searching around, there are alot of pike in this lake, but it is a big lake. There are also some big pike too!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.