Thread: Another Unit 13 blondie goes down

Smile Another Unit 13 blondie goes down

...just doing my part in the predator control plan. I was packing my hunting gear and wheeler 4 days ago when my neighbor asked what I was doing. I replied that I had to get out and was more than likely going to be griz hunting my "spot". He asked if he could accompany and I said, "Split gas?", he said "Yep" and I told him to pack his stuff up. We arrived in my "spot" in Unit 13B, and set up camp in the cabin. We glassed the river bottoms and the mountain sides doing some superficial scouting and came up dry. ...no tracks, and the snow was still very deep compared to last year. We headed back to the cabin for some shut eye and grub and got up to some glassing. In 2 hours we spotted numerous 'bou and moose and I finally saw a furball making his way slumbering along the river at about 3/4 mile away. I've always heard they have poor eyesight, but I disagree after what I witnessed. We planned a stalk, started down the glassing perch, and he busted us that far away. Admittingly we were moving in plain sight, but we were camo'd out and were not skylined; and that bear stopped in his tracks and starred at us. Through my bino's I thought to myself that the hunt would now turn more difficult as he's aware of our presence. WRONG AGAIN. He immediately started running on a rope to us. We stopped our stalk and watched within 2 minutes as the boar closed the distance to 300-400 yards. He stopped in some trees and starred at us for 5 seconds trying to scent us. I was thinking we would have to be sneaky to get a close shot, when he just kept coming in to us. He got to 200 yards out and then started circling down wind with his eyes on us. He presented with a beautiful broadside shot and I downed him with 1 shot from the home-loaded 300 RUM. He dropped in his tracks, rolled a couple of times and was expired in 10 seconds. I opened his stomach and it was empty. I never did tape him, but my buddy is 6'2" and the bear was about 1 foot longer than him as they layed next to each other for comparison (yea, it probably looked a little silly). Skull was 22". Hide was absolutely perfect and thick, blond as can be with a dark brown stripe down his back. Everything about him was perfect. Call me crazy, but I cooked up some of the meat on the campfire and it was as good as any red meat I've ever eaten. We carved off approx 80 lbs to bring home and have some in marinate as I type. I took out the femur bones to use as fish-bonkers, and left the rest for mother nature to recycle. The weather was beautiful, the company was wonderful (thanks for all the work Cal), and the memories are life-long. Good luck hunting everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! I've put in a fair amount of time trying to connect with a bear in Unit 13 with no luck thus far, but one of these days I'll join the club. Nicely done, and thanks for sharing!

Default Good job

Nice lookin animal.

Will

Thumbs up

Congradulations, nice bear. What bullet were you using in your RUM?

Hey, I know that "spot"! Just kidden'

Congrats on the bear. Sure is nice when they come in like that.

Default I want

to get me a fish bonker next year (when I am resident)...that is a great idea. Nice 'bar too.

Congratulations. But I am betting the bear thought you looked like food! Great job. J.

Good times! Congrats on nice bear. Next time you need to split gas costs let me know Hell, I'll pay for the whole thing

Default reply...

...to MONTANARIFLEMAN

I use a 180 Swift Scirocco bullet. I've never had it fail me, yet. I've always had great penetration and the bullet retains it's weight magnificiently. I do love a bowtail bullet. With my homeloads, I can place 5 bullets in a 4 inch circle, as opposed to a 18 inch circle with factory loads. ...I only mentioned it because you asked. By the way, where are you from in Montana? I grew up there...

I asked because I'm hoping to get a 300 RUM built. I've been looking at the 200 gr Accubonds, they seem to popular in the RUM's with Retumbo powder.

I'm near Bozeman, been here since 2000. Lived in Great Falls for 6 yrs also, while in the AF. Where did you grow up?

Congrats again on the nice bear, hoping they reopen a griz season here in Montana soon.

Default very nice

I was hoping for a blonde. We got a nice 8' chocolate in the same unit last week. I think this one might make book it had a 25 3/4 skull. It also had a tatoo under its lower lip. Great area.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default I lived..

in Shepherd, Mt for the first 26 years of my life. Great hunting! ..went to school at Montana State. Enjoy hunting those elk for me.

Good luck with the .300 RUM. Best gun I've ever shot...(with the sissy muzzle break).

Almost got my bear tonight, up Little Bear Canyon. had a griz colored coat and went about 300 lbs. Couldn't get a good shot on him. I thought he was going to walk right into my lap but bounced down into some pretty thick woods.

Enjoy Alaska, some great country up there

Bears eyesight is 20/20 with ours........for an animal that is very poor.

Great bear thanks for sharing!
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Smile

Congrats on the nice bear C and B. I am puzzled. I have read more times than I care to "brown bear meat is generally considered inedible..." I have cooked fresh black bear steaks on the fire and found it similar to beef. Maybe your bear was berry fed making it a lot tastier than all those huge coastal salmon eaters..Otherwise maybe a lot of wasted bear due to bad information? I have never tasted brownie but now I have to give it a try! BTW..this Fall I am putting in the hours for brownie!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Congrats on the nice bear C and B. I am puzzled. I have read more times than I care to "brown bear meat is generally considered inedible..." I have cooked fresh black bear steaks on the fire and found it similar to beef. Maybe your bear was berry fed making it a lot tastier than all those huge coastal salmon eaters..Otherwise maybe a lot of wasted bear due to bad information? I have never tasted brownie but now I have to give it a try! BTW..this Fall I am putting in the hours for brownie!
    Solly, i think you're right on both counts- lots of bad bear out there, and lots of wasted good bear because of bad information. I had parts of 2 Hatcher Pass spring brownies a couple years ago that were excellent. The hind roasts and backstraps were great, and the burger from the front and neck, after 3 grinds was also very good. IMHO, it was as good as any blackie I've had. My parents had a house rule that we couldn't declare we didn't like a food until we had tried it. I still try to live that rule, and have some pretty noxious foods under my belt because of it. I also have some very tasty foods that I may have never tried that I now love!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    in Shepherd, Mt for the first 26 years of my life. Great hunting! ..went to school at Montana State. Enjoy hunting those elk for me.

Are you kidding Cast & Blast??? I grew up in Shepherd and went to school in Bozeman too. So what year did you graduate from "Cow Pie High"? Small world.

Congrats on the bear. That's a beauty.

Jeff

Wink nice

very nice bear bro..."your spot"...I put you on that spot!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default 2 Replies:

First: Jason in Anchorage, Thanks for the hook up bro "the spot". I've learned a lot from you and your hunting skills, not to mention our tight-lipped discussions of places to harvest AK critters.

Second: Jeff Shannon: I can't believe it's such a small world. I'm old as heck (1993-graduated from Cow Pie High). Grew up on the Yellowstone River. ...go figure.