Thread: Memorial Weekend Whittier bear trip.

Default Memorial Weekend Whittier bear trip.

Spent a nice weekend out of whittier this memorial holiday. Did some shrimping, did a little black bear hunting.

Saw Orcas, Deer, bear, otters, seals. caught about 600 shrimp, shot a little bear, but we only saw two.

Saw one bear, made the dropoff, went around the corner and he was gone. Got back on the boat, went up the beach for about 2 minutes and saw another bear. He had his face buried in Kelp. with light fading fast on the last day of the hunt I decided to shoot.

I really wanted to take a bear with my muzzleloader, but there was no time for a stalk or really any good way to do it. So we dropped off on a little island, I ranged the bear at 237 yards, And dropped him with my rifle. I almost let the bear get away using my new range finder. 2 more steps and he would have been gone. He is little but man what a beutiful hide. Meat tastes a little fishy. We cooked some over a camp fire. Reminded me of smoked oyesters.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Thats awesome matt. Whats next a little bear baiting??

Default Sorry if this is a little off of your header...but...

I was noticing that you're shrimping in a zodiac that has a pot puller on it...how do you mount that thing in the zoad? I'm just using the split-ring anchor pulling method. Works okay, but I wouldn't mind a pot-puller, either...

IceKing02

PS Hell of a shot on the bear, congrats.

Its my buddies. I think he made the mount himself out of plywood. His dad might have made it. It worked really well. Its held on by straps that are ran through D-rings in the floor. If I can get some pictures of it, Ill post up. Or Ill call him and find out the scoop. It was pretty slick and made shrimping pretty easy.

Default Shrimp pots?

Has anyone ever tried to use one of the buoy anchor pullers? It is buoy on a ring that you run the anchor line through and when you want to pull the anchor you just back down and the rope is pulled through the ring and you anchor is left hanging on the buoy. You simply coil the rope by hand and pick up the anchor. I was just thinking that this would probably work for a shrimp pot too. Has anyone tried it?

Drew

I tried it, lost too many shrimp. You have to drive so fast it forces them thru the trap. A pot puller is the only way to go. Or bring a friend each trip because nobody will do it twice... LOL The bouy is better than nothing did get some shrimp. Better the than buddy method... GRIN

Steve

Default Been there, done that...

I've pulled 600ft of nylon by hand (twice) and then used my anchor line puller. As stid alluded, my count did go down by half when using the anchor puller. That's why I'm looking at the pot puller for the zodiac...

This is Dan the man advising you that he has arrived.