Thread: Legality of live release of pike

Default Legality of live release of pike

I know Alexander Lake has a slot limit on pike. There is also regulation that states that all species other than burbot that are caught in special burbot fisheries, like flowing waters of the Big Su, must be released unharmed. However, there is a regulation that states that it is illegal to release an invasive species into any waters in Alaska. So how can we release pike, an invasive species, in Alexander Lake and flowing waters of the Big Su, without breaking the law?

Mark

That's the trouble with black letter law.............it constantly needs revision, change, editing, etc.

Will: What is the regulation you are looking at? Can you provide me with the 5AAC number or cite the reg? I'm having trouble finding the regulation that states that it is illegal to release an invasive species into any waters in Alaska. It may be you are looking at something that relates to the transportation of fish.

Default AS 16.35.210. Nonindigenous Fish

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...Section210.htm

I think this answers my question pretty clearly. All I had seen before was the first sentence; I can't remember where I saw it, but here it is:

"a) A person may not knowingly release, or transport, possess, import, or export for the purpose of release, into the water of the state live nonindigenous fish or live fertilized eggs of nonindigenous fish, unless permitted by AS 16.05 - AS 16.40 or by a regulation adopted under AS 16.05 - AS 16.40."

BUT- then you read the next line: "This subsection does not apply to

(1) a fisherman who catches and releases a fish into the water from which the fish was taken; "So there we have it. The actions don't cancel each other out, but actually are covered in statute.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    "a) A person may not knowingly release, or transport, possess, import, or export for the purpose of release, into the water of the state live nonindigenous fish or live fertilized eggs of nonindigenous fish, unless permitted by AS 16.05 - AS 16.40 or by a regulation adopted under AS 16.05 - AS 16.40."

BUT- then you read the next line: "This subsection does not apply to

(1) a fisherman who catches and releases a fish into the water from which the fish was taken; "So there we have it......
    Yup.

Kill the pike.

I'd personally rather have a bunch of big pike and no salmon than a bunch of small pike and no salmon... Hence I release pike especially big ones... Thats just me though I guess.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Indigenous

Pike are indigenous to Alaska.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Pike are indigenous to Alaska.

In Alaska, pike naturally occur NORTH and WEST of the Alaska Range. They are not indigenous in the Cook Inlet area.