Thread: Let's talk about the Tal

Default Let's talk about the Tal

I am planning a trip for two down the Tal for the 4th week of June 2008. With a put in at Judd Lake and take out on the Skwentna just down stream from the confluence with the Tal. Speaking primarily about the the float, what might we expect. We are planning 6 days, and have experience with Alaska rivers and will be in a 14' self bailer.

I have reviewed the archives and Jettmars book (nothing in Strahans or Embicks books) and have found little detail. Jettmars book contained the best information so far. Typical water levels that time of year (especially in Tal Creek), realistic expectations in Hells Gate and other canyon sections.

If you have been there, I would be interested in learning from your experience. General comments or specifics, all are appreciated.

Of course GPS coordinates where you caught that monster Rainbow or King are always appreciated.

Smile floating the tal

Jester, from Judd lake down you will be on Tal Cr, it can be a death march from hell if water is low till you get to Chicken Cr, it is a few miles down stream on your left, small but good fishing hole were it dumps into Tal Cr., from here on down it is much easier to float. Keep your raft light and it will make it alot easier, esp. on upper river were it is shallow. Your 14' will be a little large and you oars wingspan will make it almost impossible to row the upper section. The light load will make it easier to drag, lots of rocks sticking that up you will snag on. Normally is a wier about 150 yds downstream from Judd Lk that you will have to Portage around. Lots bears so camp clean, I usually stop and eat then float down another 1/2 mile or so and camp. Lots tired old Kings trying to spawn up high so be nice to them. Easy portage around the canyon, then nice fast class 2 stretches of water. Best fishing is below were Tal Cr and Tal River meet. I use small 4-5 wt up high (lots grayling) then larger wts lower down. When you see large schools of red's stay and fish them for a while, killer bows. Mice and large streamers work great on main Tal. Expect traffic below Thursday Cr. Be carefull if you float out into the Skwenta. If Kings are late,you might get some low down, get right on the river right bank, and about 50 yds before Tal hits the Skwenta (by the large tree) and drop in a large single hook Kwik fish in green, also large green spinners. Tal Kings love green. Good luck.

Thumbs up This is my description off northernrim site

RIVER FLOAT TRIP DESCRIPTION: By floatplane from Lake Hood, we fly for an hour to remote lake located away from road systems near Beluga Mountain of the south side of Denali National Park. We start our scenic, whitewater, and fishing float trip in the foothills of the Alaska Range. The Talachulitna begins flowing from stream-like, shallow Talachulitna Creek and Judd Lake, a pocket-sized mirror-like kettle pot.

For reference the Talachulitna River is located on USGS maps TYONEK C-4 and D-4

Long before today's colorful rafters and fisherman historical records note that the Athabaskan visited the productive hunting grounds for Moose and Bear. In fact the river gets part of its name from the river's native tongue Tunuilch'ulyutnu that means river where people killed one another in Water. According to folklore the dispute was over a fur coat. Gold seekers also explored the Tal region. Today, this river system is one of south central Alaska's most productive sport fisheries. Throughout our trip, we will float the rivers course, 65 miles due north into surrounding Boreal forest, drop through jagged Hell's Gate, and descend fun-filled whitewater canyons to its confluence with the swift, glacial fed Skwentna River. Our journey ends in the small town of Skwentna, known as one of the early checkpoints during the 1049 mile Iditarod sled dog race.

The Talachulitna offers first class fishing opportunities for seven species of fish including: Arctic Grayling, Rainbow Trout, King, Sockeye, Coho, Pink, and Chum Salmon. The river's character is greenish clear to tea color water involving sweepers and fast current. Whitewater sections lead to Hell's Gate (or the Notch), class I-III+ (relatively easy) S-turn canyons, some standing waves, a few technical rocks, and easily negotiable boulders. The Tal also provides excellent video and photographic possibilities encompassing majestic landscapes, wildflowers, and viewable wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    RIVER FLOAT TRIP DESCRIPTION: By floatplane from Lake Hood, we fly for an hour to remote lake located away from road systems near Beluga Mountain of the south side of Denali National Park. We start our scenic, whitewater, and fishing float trip in the foothills of the Alaska Range. The Talachulitna begins flowing from stream-like, shallow Talachulitna Creek and Judd Lake, a pocket-sized mirror-like kettle pot.

For reference the Talachulitna River is located on USGS maps TYONEK C-4 and D-4

Long before today's colorful rafters and fisherman historical records note that the Athabaskan visited the productive hunting grounds for Moose and Bear. In fact the river gets part of its name from the river's native tongue Tunuilch'ulyutnu that means river where people killed one another in Water. According to folklore the dispute was over a fur coat. Gold seekers also explored the Tal region. Today, this river system is one of south central Alaska's most productive sport fisheries. Throughout our trip, we will float the rivers course, 65 miles due north into surrounding Boreal forest, drop through jagged Hell's Gate, and descend fun-filled whitewater canyons to its confluence with the swift, glacial fed Skwentna River. Our journey ends in the small town of Skwentna, known as one of the early checkpoints during the 1049 mile Iditarod sled dog race.

The Talachulitna offers first class fishing opportunities for seven species of fish including: Arctic Grayling, Rainbow Trout, King, Sockeye, Coho, Pink, and Chum Salmon. The river's character is greenish clear to tea color water involving sweepers and fast current. Whitewater sections lead to Hell's Gate (or the Notch), class I-III+ (relatively easy) S-turn canyons, some standing waves, a few technical rocks, and easily negotiable boulders. The Tal also provides excellent video and photographic possibilities encompassing majestic landscapes, wildflowers, and viewable wildlife.
    Hello Brian,

The wording of your post is kind of odd. It speaks of "we" and "us" almost as if you are quoting someone. From whence is this piece of prose quoted? It also speaks of someone called "the Athabaskan". Which one? Does this person have a name?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Lightbulb Hey Mike -

As the title of my reply says... this is from my old Northern Rim Wilderness Adventures website trip description.

we - was the guests and prospective guests as well as my guides or me guiding on the float trip

us - again guests and prospective guests as well as my guides or me guiding on the float trip

I've been running the river professionally with guests in raft & kayaks since I was 14 years old some too many years back... lol here's an older pic from back in the days.

Piece of prose... is all direct quotations from myself from my old northernrim.com website.

The Athabaskin is not an mentioned as an individual and not written by me as such... They are part of the Alaskan Native culture and family of native American language group as a collective that had early influences on the Tal.

Oh... & yep it is the same ol' Bri.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Hey, I know you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    As the title of my reply says... this is from my old Northern Rim Wilderness Adventures website trip description.

we - was the guests and prospective guests as well as my guides or me guiding on the float trip

us - again guests and prospective guests as well as my guides or me guiding on the float trip

I've been running the river professionally with guests in raft & kayaks since I was 14 years old some too many years back... lol here's an older pic from back in the days.

Piece of prose... is all direct quotations from myself from my old northernrim.com website.

The Athabaskin is not an mentioned as an individual and not written by me as such... They are part of the Alaskan Native culture and family of native American language group as a collective that had early influences on the Tal.

Oh... & yep it is the same ol' Bri.
    Brian,

I know where it all came from; I was just giving you a hard time!

And by the way, your use of "the Athabaskan" is grammatically incorrect I think. Shouldn't it be "the Athabaskan people"?

I don't know... that's why I hired an editor!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default what say you mike?

I would be interested to hear (read) what you have to say regarding the river?

I did the Tal a few years ago. Went for Rainbows and Silvers. It was OK. As you've heard lots of raft dragging as soon as you leave the lake. Here is some links I found..

http://www.dukeoutdoors.com/TalachulitnaStory.htm

http://mreeves.net/2002%20trip%20log.htm

I use Google Earth http://earth.google.com/ to get a lay of the land and GPS numbers. Here is a screen shot of the mouth of the Tal...

Only about the last third of the Tal has good usable resolution.

Tony

Default From my limited perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I would be interested to hear (read) what you have to say regarding the river?
    I have looked at the Tal from a float hunting perspective and have opted out because of the canyon section. It is narrow and steep, and contains short sections of Class IV at certain water levels. Some can be portaged and some cannot. All require scouting from shore and good route planning.

Most fishermen are not carrying really heavy loads, and so it might be more doable for them than for someone with a boatload of moose meat.

In terms of fishing, you have some lodges on that river too, some powerboat activity, etc. Expect company.

It's not for beginners.

-Mike