Thread: bought an inflatable raft to use in juneau.could use some advice...

Default bought an inflatable raft to use in juneau.could use some advice...

I just bought a sea eagle 9 fishermans package as a form of cheap boat transportation with a friend. We planned on only going out during calm days and of course check the weather. We are going to get a 3-4hp motor for it. How fast do you think something this light would go with about a 450 lb load? Do you think its dangerous for us to be going about with something like this? Here is a link to the boat and its specs.

http://www.joessports.com/product/in...ductId=2882333

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260122352218

I expect you'll do around 3-4 kts. I wouldn't recommend going very far out.

I agree with bhollis about not going out far. It looks more like a lake boat. Doesn't say if fabric is hypalon or PVC so guess maybe plastic or rubber? If you're in this boat, then the boat's the only thing that stands between you and some awfully cold/deadly water. I think the most important thing that it says it comes with is the repair kit. I'd be careful.

3-4 knots isnt super quick, but it would get us places. I know it has a weight allowance (45lbs.)for the engine and is rated for 4hp. Has anyone ever given a boat a little more than its rated for? If that is a dumb question, would it be worth trying to mod the engine out for some extra oomph? Forgive me if these questions are a little ridiculous. I am new to boating but love to tinker on engines but my friend has more experience with skiffs so we arent completely noobish together.

You won't gain much with a larger motor. 3-4 knots is as fast as it can go without planing, and you can't practically or safely get enough HP onto it to plane with a 450lb load.

I had a very similar 9' Sevylor boat for my dinghy, and now have a much sturdier Avon, roughly the same size. I go maybe 3 knots with a 2hp motor, depending on how many are on board. I much prefer the 22lb weight of my 2hp to hanging a stronger and heavier motor on the back - especially on the Sevylor, which is flimsier and more flexible than the Avon. Even the 2hp can somewhat twist the Avon at full power.

I'm not sure a 3-4 hp would go significantly faster. I tried making a plywood floor (more efficient since it doesn't flex) for my Avon, just to see if I could get it to go faster in lake use. It seemed like it just might plane if I had 3 or 4hp and only me aboard, but no way with 450lb.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

You're crazy going out into the ocean in a $500 plastic boat. An avon or zodiac costs several thousand dollars for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    You're crazy going out into the ocean in a $500 plastic boat. An avon or zodiac costs several thousand dollars for a reason.
    I tend to agree. In that boat, even a day that isn't ugly, could become very ugly very fast. I think a good investment (for a boat such as this) would be a survival suit and a really good floating hand held radio.

Looks like a great boat for Auke Lake...

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I tend to agree. In that boat, even a day that isn't ugly, could become very ugly very fast. I think a good investment (for a boat such as this) would be a survival suit and a really good floating hand held radio.
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a cheap boat???

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a cheap boat???

Good point....I guess I shouldn't get in the way of Murphy or stop Darwin from happening.

Default Half trip rafts

Quote Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
    I just bought a sea eagle 9 fishermans package as a form of cheap boat transportation with a friend. We planned on only going out during calm days and of course check the weather. We are going to get a 3-4hp motor for it. How fast do you think something this light would go with about a 450 lb load? Do you think its dangerous for us to be going about with something like this? Here is a link to the boat and its specs.

http://www.joessports.com/product/in...ductId=2882333

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260122352218
    I call this type of inflatable boat half trip rafts, they'll get you out there but many not get you home.
    The fabrics these boats are built with do not have a woven polyester or nylon core fabric.

This type of fabric is called non reinforced PVC. They have very little puncture strength and lots of stretch in the fabric which stresses the welded seams.

It looks like you paid a bit over $500 for this inflatable and it might get you out to where you want to go.
    But you might need to pay another $500 for a second one to get you back home.

Or you could pay around $1000 for a Tender that will last you 20 years or better.

Good boating

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I agree with sticking to Auke Lake but stay close to shore because it is pretty cold as well. Better yet, do some fishing from a charter boat.

Charter fishing is not something I can really afford. I am a college student here for the summer. I am just looking for a boat that will give me a little better chance fishing than from the shore and possibly to go out to the nearer islands for camping. I dont plan on going huge distances or leaving the protection of the bay.

I think everyone understands your need to fish and get offshore but even if you go a little ways out, maybe even a few hundred yards in a calm protected bay, and your boat deflates and you go into the water then your chance of making it to shore is slim. I also think that the comments made here are done so in your best interest and to give you the benefit of the knowledge of those who commonly venture into cold Alaska waters. Would your boat sink and would you die if you used it? Chances, in my opinion, are not likely. It's just alot less likely if you have a better boat. Your safety, your decision. Just don't take along someone else who doesn't also know the risks.

My coworker lost a nephew in PWS. It is shocking how quick the cold water will kill you! I agree with skydiver most of us just want to make sure you are aware of the risks. I have a 17' aluminum boat and I don't feel comfortable taking it into the salt up here. The only way I would get on that raft is if the boat I was on was sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by joe86 View Post
    Charter fishing is not something I can really afford. I am a college student here for the summer. I am just looking for a boat that will give me a little better chance fishing than from the shore and possibly to go out to the nearer islands for camping. I dont plan on going huge distances or leaving the protection of the bay.
    You can rent a sea kayak from the university for next to nothing for going out in auke bay and be WAY safer than that lake raft...Your asking for trouble in that thing.
    Nice Marmot.

Cheap plastic inflatable raft + sharp hooks, filet knife, pliers, ect... = Bad Day.

Default hmmm..

No one here is off the mark on this one. That is an unreinforced vinyl boat that is designed for light duty use. The one factor of safety it does have is multiple chambers, which means it will still float when one gets a hole. They are prone to rapid deflation (critical failure) due to seam bursting when overinflated or overstressed. That being said, two people fishing 50 feet offshore in a calm bay wearing pfd's and some insulating clothing like fleece and wool would be able to milk a boat like that back to shore with the remaing chambers, it will be wet, but it will be doable. I have used them to cross large bodies of water myself, I have ran class III rapids with them (in utah, where it's warmer), and I have also had problems with them. That left me hiking to the road to hitch hike to the car. That being said, if you allready bought it, use it, but be careful. If you haven't, you might be able to find an old river raft and rig a motor mount for it, even an old hypalon boat that leaks through the fabric is safer than unreinforced vinyl. Oh, and don't overpower it.

Hope this helps, happy fishing.

Chris

I read reviews for that boat when I was thinking about buying it for a lake last year. I opted not to due to the fact that its made out of not so great material, a 4 person boat is really a 2 person boat, and at that price for another 500 you could be in a high quality boat with a warentee. Needless to say I didnt buy either; I went with a 50 dollar raft from walmart for the lakes and its been out 5 times and works great.

I would not take that boat into the ocean, I had a valve trip on my inflatable and was almost out of air by the time I got back to shore which was only about 300 yards away.... just not worth 500$, get a dinghy or a used high quality inflatable