Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent heat

Default Tent heat

I have a 10x10 tent with lots of ventilation (full 2x2 on the roof) and want something to take the chill off when needed. Is there any advantage in burn time or efficieny by going with a cat heater vs. like a little buddy. Anyone feel unsafe using these for hours in a tent? Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at heaters too. Pretty much have to go with the Mr Buddy for the low oxygen shutoff feature, since the heater is for when I've got the wife & kids with me.

Get one of the buddy heaters. Depending on how long you are going to be in the field they are great either with just 1lb disposable bottles or for an extended period with a larger refillable bottle. The CO2 shutoff is a great safety feature as well. Sure would suck to wake up dead on a great hunting trip!

Thanks guys I decided on the big Mr. buddy for the adjustability and saftey. It'll be on a meat trailer and not my back so size is relative to comfort.

I just use a lantern and make sure there is a little air flow.
    Now what ?

My hunting partner has a Mr buddy and we used it at moose camp and let me tell you what, that is the best thing in the world. I would wake up and turn it on high for 10 min (snooze time) then the big cabellas alaskan was nice and warm. Boy, that sure made it nice when you are cold and wet, or just waking up in the morn. Just be sure to use the inline filter if you are using a large propane tank, something about overpressure if you don't. Either way it would go out till we bought one of these.

i use a large mr heater on my boat. it has low oxygen shut off if you are worried about that. the larger one has a fan that really moves the air around and takes little time to heat an area up. the canvas on my boat gets warm real fast when on high with the fan, would suggest 1 to anybody looking for heat in a boat or a tent. jeff

Quote Originally Posted by The Greg View Post
    ...want something to take the chill off when needed. Is there any advantage by going with a cat heater vs. like a little buddy.
    To each their own, but I prefer a little lady.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

last i Knew all fire shut off in low/no oxygen....?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by The Greg View Post
    Thanks guys I decided on the big Mr. buddy for the adjustability and saftey. It'll be on a meat trailer and not my back so size is relative to comfort.
    I have one and it works great. If space isn't an issue I would say to get the hose that allows you to use a regular bbq sized propane tank. those fit nicely in milk crates for transport too.

Carnivore.. ha ha ha.. the "little lady" comment... nice.. lol!!

Coleman double mantle dual fuel latern may put out more BTU's plus they offer light. Just make sure the tent is vented plus use a battery operated CO detector.
    With the dual fuel latern you wont have to carry propane bottles with you.
    Tennessee

Smile Mr. Buddy

The Mr. Buddy is easy to use and works. I have used mine in a tent and boat for several years. I know it has a low oxygen sensor/shut off. I do not trust it so I make sure the area is well ventilated and have a battery operated carbon monoxide detector that is also used. I still remember the tragic stories I have heard over the years of people dieing from carbon monoxide poisoning. Some of them were in tents and cabins and the source of carbon monoxide was a white gas lantern, propane heater and a propane cook stove. I have never talked to any one who died from it, but I have talked to a couple of people who passed out from it and were rescued. Sounds like a pretty painless way to die and from what I hear you don't even know it is happening. Gives me the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have never talked to any one who died from it.
    Now that would have been interesting.

I have had carbon monoxide poisoning before, not fun at all. I had the worst headache of my life, and was nauseous for a day. The buddy heaters will shut off before they will poison you. This is a big issue in MN due to all the ice fishing here. I use the big buddy heater with the fan in it.

Question propane heaters sweat

Do you guys wake up with a wet tent from using the buddy heaters or do do the radiant type like this burn any drier?

The band titled "3 Dog Night" is called that for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Do you guys wake up with a wet tent from using the buddy heaters or do do the radiant type like this burn any drier?
    In my experience, the radiant type heaters put out a lot of moisture. It's a lot more trouble, but I now use a woodstove in my big tent. I have yet to use the buddy heater for all night use , although I have one and it keeps my ice fishing house toasty warm during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post

Not if you are in an Arctic Oven. Dry as a bone as all mositure is wicked to the other side of the poly pro lining.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    .....I still remember the tragic stories I have heard over the years of people dieing from carbon monoxide poisoning......I have never talked to any one who died from it, but I have talked to a couple of people who passed out from it and were rescued. Sounds like a pretty painless way to die and from what I hear you don't even know it is happening. Gives me the creeps.
    I'm one who has come close twice. The second time I was out for a few hours. Woke up outside in the rain with the dogs licking me. I remember starting to go outside.............

The headache that comes during recovery is pretty rough.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast