Thread: Lake Creek Mid June

Default Lake Creek Mid June

I am planning on doing lake Creek mid June. I have a 16' cataraft. We have three guys and gear. Can I run the river with a 16' or is it too large? Any advise would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by akrivrrat View Post
    I am planning on doing lake Creek mid June. I have a 16' cataraft. We have three guys and gear. Can I run the river with a 16' or is it too large? Any advise would be great.
    I've seen other people do it.

Default video

Rivrrat,
    Have you seen the video on lake creek? I thought about purchasing it but haven't yet.
    Supposedly it shows the location of the rapids, & some hot spots with gps coordinates.
    I know AR&K had it.

Good suggestion. I saw it on the web: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/pro...lake_creek.htm

I think that I am going to order it. I will post my thoughts after I view it.

I am not too impressed with the guys from Duke Outdoors who make the videos of them floating around AK. I know several people who have seen them on the river while they are filming and they just don't respect Alaska the way they should. Everything from being loud and roudy to handling fish poorly to not being safe while floating and wearing a PFD.

Just my two cents.

Default Great Float

I did Lake creek with three guys and a 14' otter in August for silvers a few years ago. It was an awesome float. The size of the river is perfect in my opinion, not too small and not too big. The views up near Chelatna are incredible. If the water level is right there isn't much dragging and only two stretches of 3 or 3+ that gets interesting. I bounced from boulder to boulder in the "Boulder Field", not sure if I could have done anything better, but only felt uncomfortable once. Bows and grayling up by the lake... take your time there because I'm sure there will be tons of pressure for the kings down lower. Saw lots of bears, so camp clean.

I'm planning to be there the third week of June, so I'm with you on the good water level prayers.

Cheers,

Matt

Default the movie

I bought the movie and watched most of it last night. I wasn't really impressed with the two guys either. However, I did get some good information about camping and timing. I learned that my trip starting 21 June is probably going to be too early for good king fishing. I was hoping to learn more about what gear to use. They kept mentioning black streamers flies for kings but they fished them with bait casters and didn't say anything about how they fished them. I'm trying to figure out the best flies for trout but I don't think they fished for trout at all on the video.
    I hope my wife can control the raft or it's going to be a long 50 mile float for me.
    Good luck and tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto;284036[COLOR=black
    I hope my wife can control the raft or it's going to be a long 50 mile float for me.[/COLOR]
    Good luck and tight lines
    Your wife might have a bit of trouble at the very begining of the river (it's pretty narrow and fast) and in the boulder field. Everything else, she should be able to handle.