Thread: Honda fourtrax question

Question Honda fourtrax question

On my beast (1995 honda fourtrax 300fw) there is a small DC receptacle on the handlebar with + and - ports. (have never used it)

Question is.. when installing a winch can I use this port to power the remote and handlebar toggle switches?

Seems like it should work instead of splicing into a "key on" hotwire.

And yes.. I've had the thing since 1995 without a winch

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Your melt it down

No, your winch draws too much power for that accessory circut to handle. Run your wires under the seat and hook them directly to the battery.

Default oops, misread

Misread your post,,,sorry. I thought you were planning to power your winch directly from the acc port. As for your other concerns, Im not sure.

You should have no problem using that receptacle to power your winch.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but still a do-it-yourselfer

Winch and mount kit are installed (pats self on shoulder)
    and now it is time for the wiring.

Mounted the solenoid in the rear storage box. Easy enough, fairly clean and requires little drilling to access the battery compartment. Just need to run the leads up and down the chassis and mount/wire the switches.

The solenoid is waterproof right? I doubt the rear of the machine will be submerged for long periods but judging some of the residual silt in the bottom I know it fills up from time to time.

I've got my contactor in the rear tool/storage box and have had no issues with water causing any problems and i've had that thing full of mud and water many times.