Thread: Proper Fishing Etiquette

Default Proper Fishing Etiquette

I was fishing the Deshka. After four hours and no takes I had noticed that one area was getting some kings. I pulled the anchor and motored slowly to into the area being careful not to ruin anyone’s good time. I danced around trying several spots there but as you all know you have to be in the "hole" to get them.
    Then a guy in a great boat hollered to me " come along side, it's OK!" This boat was in the "prime" spot. I couldn't believe my ears! He had watched me dancing around the "spot" without interfering with anyone and had the heart to ask me in. This was a true fishing gentleman. I quickly pulled along side and asked if he really meant for me to anchor up along side of his boat. He said "sure, there's plenty of room and plenty of fish, anchor up and don't worry about getting too close, I have bumpers that will protect our boats.
    I don't know how to tell you all how generous this fisherman was. I have too often seen just the opposite, where a guy would yell..."Hey, I'm fishing here, get the ---- off" But as I said, this man was a gentleman and a fine fisherman to boot! He had already caught his nice 35 to 40 ponder and was expertly coaching his two young charges in the fine art of king fishing. He was an X-guide and he also coached me in the technique needed to get hookups and made a totally fine day for me.
    You know who you are and I'm saying a big THANKS TO YOU! I do wish that all of us could be as generous as this man was and is. As I pulled anchor at the end of a very fine day he said," hey I don't even know your name?" I hollered I'm Jesse" and he said..."my names Mike".
    Hats off to you Mike! You are a fine example for all of us who come shoulder to shoulder in pursuit of that which we love in Alaska.
    I will never forget, and I will try to pass the proper fishing etiquette that you portrayed on to the next guy.

Thumbs up Fish Karma

Be patient, good things happen. This is a great example of how good us alaskans can be. Just slow down people, watch, relax, dont crowd someone and you will get your turn. My hats off to this gentlemen for what he did and for you not crowding him and you were rewarded. Good job all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Otterbfishin You can fish by me anytime!!
    And Mike you get two thumbs up!!!

good story,, it sure feels good to be friendly..

Dang that was nice out there usally I hear a i'm gonna come over there and kick your *ss and every other word lol which puts me in laughter cause I don't need to go to the movies just kick back in the chair on the boat and watch the show lol

Kudos to Mike, just when you thought the polite fishermen were extinct!
    then BAM, they appear.

Default They are out there!

I have had some truly remarkable experiences here in this great land. I have had the bad, no need to repeat those here, but I have been indeed fortunate in meeting some truly great people here and never even gotten there name. To the guy who showed me how to fish my now favorite spot, Thank you! and thank you to all out there who keep the fine tradition of true sportsmanship alive and well.

FM