Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could fish

Question If you could fish

just 1 river or lake for a day? Any type of fish, Just you and who ever you take. Nobody else around. Could be a fly in, or a drift trip, maybe a jet boat run. Interior, south central, south east, west side, west coasts of alaska What ever it is. So if you had a river or lake all to yourself for one day for fishing which one would you pick and a brief why would be nice. The only catch just alaska streams or lakes. Just wanting to see what others thoughts are on this since we are all in fishing heat right now.

Oh and what time of the year would you like to do it. I know the species might give it away but some bows and steelheads are spring fisheries and fall. Just trying to get a fun info thread here and hear what others dream about
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-29-2008 at 19:18. Reason: One more thing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There are two that I can think of right away
    The Situk in the spring (steelhead)
    The Alagnak in the fall (monster bows on 12" flesh flies)

My absolute favorite is still grayling on a secluded river (you know the place, Chuck ), but for something I haven't done yet, I would really like to target sheefish on a flyrod someday. I'm not picky about where, though.

Default Nushagak River!

I would like to have the Nushagak all to myself for a day. Catch 40-50 kings in a day. I would sure enjoy the sore arms if I could only fish that river.

Default Shee

I too want the Sheefish on a fly rod. I was putting together a float of the Kobuk last year, but opted for the Goodnews (SW) instead. We had a great float trip, but I am still dreaming of the Kobuk. Big streamers on a stiff Scott 8 wt, Ally canoe drifting mid-stream, late July near the Pah River confluence. That is where I want to be. Maybe next year. Hitting a NW river for dollies this Fall.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Tsiu silvers in early September!

Default Favorite spot

Is a little creek down on the penn. you drive over it to go to Seward. Great little fishery for bows and dolies in september. I love fishing this creek...always get surprized look when people find out the creek...

FrozenMarc

Nushigak for Kings.

A co-worker who also happens to be a fishing/hunting guide told me his best day on the water with clients they brought 150 Kings to the boat.

I want a day like that!!
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I love fishing AK but if we are dreaming here it would be a perfect day sight casting a fly to bone fish in the bahamas

Default my ideal fishing trip...

is one ive already been on. my father and i were down in seward in a little 14 ft smokercraft trolling for silvers along the breakwater in between the waterfall and lowell point. we were using herring with a deep six diver and we were hooking up non stop. even when i would reel in my bait and let it skip across the water while i was trying to net my dads fish, these silvers would come up and slam my bait. i think i was about ten years old at the time and to me it seemed like time stopped for just a moment. we had so many trips together. i only wish he wouldve lived forever...

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    is one ive already been on. my father and i were down in seward in a little 14 ft smokercraft trolling for silvers along the breakwater in between the waterfall and lowell point. we were using herring with a deep six diver and we were hooking up non stop. even when i would reel in my bait and let it skip across the water while i was trying to net my dads fish, these silvers would come up and slam my bait. i think i was about ten years old at the time and to me it seemed like time stopped for just a moment. we had so many trips together. i only wish he wouldve lived forever...

thats a great memorym thanks for sharing.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default I'd Make a Deal with the Devil...

To be sitting my mothers lap, with her teaching me how to cast with a kid's Zebco...arcticfox77's right...

Default keani

ok so did you say all to my self my dream day is a day on the keani king fishin no com fishing it would be july 22nd and im the only boat on the water with king numbers around 2500 on the sonar and after i get my king i go to the red bank we will say 118000 reds are starting to storm the river. ive seen 96000 fish a day my arms hurt after that day from fighting fish . it was sweet it was perfect. my dream kings on keani no other boats.

Default Minto

I've yet to arrive in Alaska but the place I want to go more than any right now is to the Minto Flats to spend a day (week really) slaying pike. I've never fished trout or salmon in my times growing up in MN and WI so maybe after a few months I'll change my mind. For now though, it's Minto.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Back to the past...

It would be me at age eight laying face down on the dock at my Aunt Marge's lake in Michigan. I had nothing but a piece of string, a safety pin, and a piece of baloney.

I must of laid there for hours with my arm dangling over the water until a rock bass came by and took my offering.

That was my first-ever fish...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Talking

Well the range of possibilities are endless, so here are two scenarios:
    1) Long Lagoon on Afognak Island in mid August fishing for Silvers.
    Did that two years ago and landed close to 100 silvers in a day on a fly rod.
    Fished 12 hours strait.

2) Situk River Steelhead in early April, 30-40 hook upís a day fighting
    the ultimate trout.

TL

Any river with large enough salmon to break my buddy's fishing net when I go to help him out. I love breaking his nets on large fish. That's always fun.

Second place would be sight fishing cutthroat trout in Alpine lakes.

Fall steelhead on the Karluk River with a spey rod...awesome place.

Lake Trout hands down with a nice quiet place for Grayling taking a close second.

Default Yahtse River

I read an article in Alaska magazine about a guy catching Coho's in the Yahtse river around Icy Bay with dry flies sometime in August. Sounded like awesome top water action. I would love to have a big silver take a top water dry fly. At least it would be something different than drift fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast