Thread: Ruger/Kel-Tecs are in

Default Ruger/Kel-Tecs are in

I was over at Great Northern Guns today and they were just unwrapping the new Ruger .380 Kel-Tec clone. They are so similar it's amazing. Going for $295.00 I think

I picked up one for my wife. I ran 50 rounds through it and bought another one for my pocket too. Great little gun but very difficult to see the front sight. I guess if you ever need a gun of this type the sights won't matter...

This is a link to a prototype Crimson laser sight that is about ready for production on the Ruger LCP380.

http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index...=33976.msg7414

Default Just got mine in

Feels great. Can't wait to shoot it. Nice weight to it. Very slim compared to the smith 5 shot scandium I sold.

I have read and heard also about the gun possibly going off with a round in the chamber.
    So does this mean you should not keep it loaded at all times in the pocket or wherever? If so why do they list it as 6+1? I am still happy with it none the less. Just want to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    If so why do they list it as 6+1?
    They list it that way because that is the capacity of the pistol.

Default Just ordered a holster

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    They list it that way because that is the capacity of the pistol.

I know, but if you shouldn't carry it loaded isn't the capacity 6? Seems like they are setting them selves up for a lawsuit. I racked the slide back with out a mag in banged the gun around didn't get it move the hammer. Will read the manual again to see if it just means while storing the gun and transporting and not so much as concealed carry.

I just ordered a High Noon Holster. The ruger web site said they are a recommended and approved holster. I went to highnoonholsters.com and found they make more than what rugers web site said. They are offering quite a few holsters for the LCP .380. I ordered the IWB 15degree scant model, Bare Asset is the name. Anyways looks like a nice holster with a retaining tension screw and it said it is very thin, uncle mikes seem thick with the padding. Have not seen one yet in person but I ordered it for $24.95, seemed cheap to me for a quality holster.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's DA isn't it? Then, it should be safe to carry loaded.

What I'd like to know, is how hard is it to hang onto?

My Walther PPK, in 380 is no *****cat.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Just a thought, but if you can't carry a round in the chamber, it's not much of a defense pistol.

Default the manual says

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It's DA isn't it? Then, it should be safe to carry loaded.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Yes it is a DA. The manual says "The RUGER LCP is a compact, single strike double action, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge". Another phrase "When the pistol is in the the "semi-cocked" mode, the first shot can be fired double-action by pulling the trigger all the way to the rear, which fully cocks and releases the hammer and then fires the pistol." Similare to a glock I guess. So I assume it is fine to carry loaded concealed. They are just covering their butts with all the warnings. What do you all think who own one? How do you carry your LCP?

I have not shot it yet. The video on their web site make it look like a ***** cat to shoot one handed with a good group too.

The guys at some gun shop said they are selling their kel tecs to get the ruger. Not sure if anyone mentioned the Walther. The video is pretty cool on rugers site.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 06-23-2008 at 21:20. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ...Similare to a glock I guess....
    I dont follow you...

Default No decocker

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I dont follow you...

Some where in the manual it mentions a decocker, only thing on the gun is a manual slide stop and release, mag release and a pin that takes a flat object to remove to be able to disassembe the slide. Very confusing owners manual none the less.

I say similar to a glock because once you load a round into the chamber it is only "half cocked". The trigger does the rest. While the LCP is just a simple trigger and the glocks have the extra moving part in the middle of the trigger.

This whole thing is just because I read in a article about possibility of the gun firing unintentionally. A guy at Northern Security also said not to carry it loaded concealed. The owners manual says don't carry loaded and unload imediately when done and remove the mag as well. But after looking at the gun and dry firing and manually throwing the slide I don't see how it could go off if the chamber is loaded. Unless dropped very hard on the right spot. Seems like a well made gun and why in the world would they make a Light Weight Carry pistol that you cannot carry loaded and ready for action? Just was confused with what I read, heard and the manual says is all. I will carry it loaded, alteast until I loose a butt cheak from an accidental discharge!

I just bought one from GNG last Saturday. I haven't had the chance to fire it, but will do soon. It makes a good grab-n-go gun.

Default Boondocks

Boondocks has had them in stock. Don said he gets 3-5 a week and sells out. Price was 279.00. Put my name on the wait last today. I have the Keltec 380 and the trigger on the Ruger is better.

Default I have never had a bad Ruger product. Good stuff, good kit. Real American.

Quote Originally Posted by scattergunguy View Post
    I just bought one from GNG last Saturday. I haven't had the chance to fire it, but will do soon. It makes a good grab-n-go gun.
    I have never had a bad Ruger product. Good stuff, good kit. Real American.

I hear some of the younger law enforcement guys slamming on Ruger, but I hear some of the older guys praising Ruger. You have to admit that Ruger has certainly added some solid guns to the history of American weapons production. I am not surprised that this little pocket job is rapidly growing in popularity, and can only wonder if Ruger might be buying-out the Kel-Tec Corporation. I really want to fire one of these little guns, and might add one to my collection.

Some very great guns by Ruger that I am sure that most every one this forum enjoy: The 10-22. The Blackhawk. The Redhawk. The Mark series of target pistols (I saw many of those in Germany at shooting clubs). The Mini 30 and Mini 14. The M77 Rifle is a very solid Rifle. The number "1" and the number "3." All the "P" series automatics worked well and functioned solidly. The duty revolvers Security Six, the Speed Six and the 101. All of these have been real solid American weapons and required little or no maintenance beyond cleaning.

With the addition of the little pocket job there is now a Ruger weapon for every need ranging from combat to an African Safari of large game, to Bear Hunts, home defense, to a night time walk down the street in the Southside of Chicago.

these come with that lazer sight for that price?
    Semper Fi!

Default No

Price did not include the lazer!!

Default So you guys carrying one in the chamber?

I racked the slide back without the mag and then put the mag in. The hammer has not moved and been in the car, on the bike, the boat and just around. I think the guy at the one gun shop just didn't what he was talking about when he told me not to carry it with one in the chamber. So just wondering is all.

I got the high noon holster it is pretty sweet. Just had to modify slightly is all. Nice and thin cow hide. Nice belt clip. Keep it nice and snug to the body is comfy to drive with while wearing the gun. The shipping sucked, only 2nd day air with UPS. Cost the same as the holster pretty much but oh well.

Finally got a chance to play with the LCP today as every one of the 20 or so I have gotten has left same day...no offense but its a Kel Tec by a different name. I'll personally stick to Seecamp