Thread: calling bears

Default calling bears

I saw this years first set of twin moose calves on the ground last night. The little fellas could not have been more than a couple hours old. At first I thought the little fellas were jumping around, but they were actually trying to walk and were falling over. I wish I had my camera.

So, on that note is it worth a try to use a cow moose call in the bear woods now? Trying to sound like momma moose callinmg a calf? I am going to try it, now that I know the calves are on the ground. Does anyone know what a calf moose in distress sounds like? I am gonna have to try to figure that one out. Has anyone actually called in a bear in the spring with a moose call?

Have been wondering what a baby Moose sounds like myself. I got a fawn bleat on an electronic caller, going to try that. Also got one of those doe calls that sounds like a whitetail doe, going to give that a try also. Then there is the woods wise bear calls as well, used those last week with no results.

AFHunter: Are you in South Central, or the Tanana Valley? I'm in North Pole myself.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I live out in Salcha. I saw the calves on Eielson.

Check youtube, there is a video of a black bear killing a calf and it is the only footage I have ever seen where you get to listen to a calf in distress. The cow call may not work because at least in that video the cow just stood there and watched. I can't get to it from work but If I get time I will imbed it here tonight.

Glad to hear that, I'll start floating tomorrow. I plan to run up a river and then drift back down, calling all the way.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Lujon,

I have dial-up at home and can not access youtube from work. If you could get it downloaded that would be great. PM sent

When calling bears, how is the situation dealt with if a sow with cubs answers the call?
    Joe (Ak)

When I call I do it from a tree stand when possible, that way if a sow and cub comes, I'm up the tree. From what other have told me sows don't respond to calls that much with cubs. They tend not to want to bring the cubs into an unknown situation. I would say Mr want that you would know more than me, when it comes to bear hunting. Enjoyed your bear hunting clinic.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    When calling bears, how is the situation dealt with if a sow with cubs answers the call?
    Joe (Ak)

Pepper spray, and yes I am being serious.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Sorry I can't find a way to download the video from youtube to email it

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I have heard dying rabbit call works. I have seen black rabbit kills on the yukon. Had one bury one 20 feet from my tent last fall. He moved it twice. It was kind of Blair Witchy the second time. Anyway, I think I will try the rabbit call.

isnt it too early to try predator calls? I could see the bleeting moose calf, but would normal distress calls work right now?

I called a 8 foot brown bear in on memorial day weekend last year using a simple rabbit distress call. After watching that you tube video it seems to me that the moose calf actually sounds pretty similiar to the snowshoe hare in terms of distress cries.