Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which casting reel do you recommend?

Default which casting reel do you recommend?

need a new casting reel for steelhead and salmon, which do you recommend for under $200, preferebly? thanks
    adam

Any Abu Garcia in your price range and spool size.

Default Shimano - low profile casting

You can get a new Curado 300 or 301 (left hand) for $199. For stealhead I like using the smaller 201 model.

would like to stick to a large profile because it balances my rod better. anyone use the shimano calcutta? i hear its really smooth, and thats what i need because i drift spawn under floats sometimes, and need to have the spool spin very freely.

Default Casting Reel

I'd pick up an ABU 6000 or 6500 series on eBay for under $100.

Default I started laughing out loud when I saw this thread.

I will tell you why.

My favorite reels are ambassaduers. I have used red,black,blue and silver ones.

I have broke them all fishing for kings.

I have been using a Spider Cast reel for the last two years and it went tits up today.Dont even know who makes that reel.

If you find the best reel to use, I am all ears.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Abu Garcia Record is a good one. I love mine. I also use a Shimano Corsair, and have landed a few kings with it, one weighing 40 lbs. Both are around 70 to 100 dollars.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

for a right handed caster...

abu garcia 6501. You'd think it's backwards as it's made for a 'lefty' when in all reality it's a right handed persons reel.

Good stuff, I have two and they've lasted quite a long time now with zero problems. I do take them apart and clean, oil and grease as needed.

I've had 3 shimano corsairs and broke all 3 of them. Bought one and not one lasted more then a few fish. The 3rd one I threw away as junk. Good looking reel, poorly built for our needs in AK.

There are more spendy reels out there and they sure are nice, but the extra money you spend for one will get you two of the 6501s and if taken care of will last you for a long long time to come. Treat a calcutta like people treat other reels and they'll last just as long as the low end models.

Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500.
    Now what ?

another question. what line do you spool up with?

Default what reel

Depends on where you fish-if you fish the ocean-then try an Avet small reel-has lost of acpasity and great drags. The ocean will burn up a freshwater reel.Load it with Power pro and about 3-4 ft of leader and go have fun

Default Top shelf

Go top shelf. Get the Calcutta 400 or Penn 965, if you're targeting kings and steelhead. If steelhead and silvers, then go with the 300 or 955. Curado DSV is the best low profile reel on the market now, IMHO, but may not get the right balance for you. I've had my Calcutta 400 for 4 seasons, fished it very hard (for kings) for 3 years, and not even the winding pawl has failed yet. Shimano will do a complete re-man too for $35 plus parts, when I finally need it, and they charge factory price for the parts- less than wholesale.

Both the reels are in the 220-230 price range, and many shops will throw in free line when you buy one; $10-20 freebie, which gets you right back to the $200 mark.

So the question: do you buy a lower dollar, functional reel that you replace every year or two, or spend a few dollars more (less than a tank of gas) and get a higher performance reel that lasts a lifetime?

i think the calcutta would be the way to go, just because i hear it is ungodly smooth, which is what i need for back here in MI. thanks for all the advice. im pretty sure that silvers are in the river while im there, with a few kings. is there a line that i could use for both? back here, we run 12 pound maxima ultragreen for salmon are steelhead, with 6 pound flouro leader, but i realize AK is a whole different game.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Go top shelf. Get the Calcutta 400 or Penn 965, if you're targeting kings and steelhead. If steelhead and silvers, then go with the 300 or 955. Curado DSV is the best low profile reel on the market now, IMHO, but may not get the right balance for you. I've had my Calcutta 400 for 4 seasons, fished it very hard (for kings) for 3 years, and not even the winding pawl has failed yet. Shimano will do a complete re-man too for $35 plus parts, when I finally need it, and they charge factory price for the parts- less than wholesale.

Both the reels are in the 220-230 price range, and many shops will throw in free line when you buy one; $10-20 freebie, which gets you right back to the $200 mark.

So the question: do you buy a lower dollar, functional reel that you replace every year or two, or spend a few dollars more (less than a tank of gas) and get a higher performance reel that lasts a lifetime?
    Few dollars lew than a tank of gas?? What you driving? A scooter? HaHa I couldn't resist. Takes me lot more than a few bucks to fill up.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by FSHKLR View Post
    Few dollars lew than a tank of gas?? What you driving? A scooter? HaHa I couldn't resist. Takes me lot more than a few bucks to fill up.
    No worries FSH. It takes me 20 gallons to fill up- $83 now. Garcia Record is $169.95. $60 bucks different. I was saying that it'll take less than a tank of gas to get the Calcutta then to get the Record. I wish I were driving a scooter! $83- I can get an Abu 6500 C3 for $89- Sheesh- at a tank and a half of gas a week, think of all the fishing gear I could own!

For the line, I use Power Pro. It casts great, has no stretch, and low diameter, all characteristics I love. 40-65# is fine for kings- not so much for the strength as for what diameter you'd like. 65 has a higher diameter and therefore is a little easier to untangle if needed. 40's a good choice if you're chucking a lot of smaller spinners for silvers. Tie in a fluoro leader if visibility is an issue.

my loomis 1236 is rated for 6-12 pound mono line. what is the heaviest braid i can use?

You can use braid up to the diameter of the 12 lb line...BUT...set your drag same as you would for the 12lb. Are the rod's guides recommended for braid? It's fairly abrasive and will eat through normal "mono" guides pretty quickly.

12 lb should work for reds and pinks, but you might be in for a longer struggle with a big silver or chum. And a decent king...well, it can and has been done, but I'd definitely go heavier. I use 30 lb Trilene Big Game for Kings...and 20 or 30 for silvers, if I ain't flyfishing for 'em.
    Last edited by AKRoadkill; 05-30-2008 at 14:17. Reason: typos--fatfingers

Boy I hate braid on baitcasters....real bad idea IMO

Sure it's strong and dosen't stretch, but when you get a bird's-nest....get out the knife...Or when you catch that tree on the opposite bank and have to break-off...watch out! Not to mention it's friggin expensive!

I think braid breaks a whole-lotta rods in AK every year. Its a really bad idea having your rod be the weakest link in your setup. IMO if you have a rod rated to 25 lb and your using 60 lb braid your either a fool, break a lot of rods, or is just another ugly-stik guy

I'll stick with mono for everything but bottom fish. My choice is 15-20 lb chameleon for chinook, 10-12 lb chameleon for everything else. I think the ultragreen wears out too fast. Personally, I like a little line stretch

Nobody has mentioned the Shimano Cardiff reels, has anyone used them? Seems like the Cardiff 400 series would be a good king reel – your thoughts???

ClearCreek

thanks for the advice. my rods guides are rated for braid. i figured the line ratings were more for diameter than strength. i think i will go with 20lb Trilene XL. i use it on one rod of mine for pike, and i figure it isnt too far above my rating anyways. also a happy medium for kings and silvers. like i said, i have a lot of experience with big fish and light line. 10 pound steelhead on 4 pound leader and 20 pound kings on 6 pound leader. the longer rod (10'6") should make it easier too. once again, thanks for all the advice.
    adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast