Thread: Weather's influence on lake fishing (Barometirc pressure etc.)

Default Weather's influence on lake fishing (Barometirc pressure etc.)

I had my boss ask me to look into the effects of weather on fishing particularly in lakes like the one we fish with clients. I am not particularly aware of weather's effects except on light conditions or other things that may change fly selection for visibility or other simpler factors.

I know down south that some fishermen carry thermometers and keep track of weather fronts or weather changes for everything from bass to trout.

Can anyone shed a little light on how this works or where to look?

In my experience in AK the fish are either biting or they aren't and often they are but we were wondering what about the weather turns them off some days in the pond.

River Runnin

Default Not much up here...

I used to be an avid walleye, musky, bass fisherman in the midwest and I live and died by weather fronts and temp changes. In front of an approaching weather system, you could slay normally timid fish at any time of day for a few hours only to watch them shut down hard after the front moved in and it could take days for them to go on the bite well again. I fish lakes commonly in southwest AK for pike, char and grayling and I've seen little or no affect on these fish, at least not compared to what I've experienced in warmer climes. Bristol Bay weather, like so many others areas in AK, is known for fast moving fronts and what I call affectionately "liquid sunshine" with large pressure swings throughout the day and haven't noticed a difference I would attribute to it.

I have noticed that in early spring and late fall, a sunny day can spark some decent activity when water temperatures are marginal. And in rivers I see no affect at all, some of the best rainbow fishing I've had was the most miserable turbulent nasty weather I've ever stood out in.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

About the only thing I have noticed is that on the bright blue bird days on the streams here in south central we catch alot more fish on the drift where i can put the wife close to the cut banks and into the shade. We have pulled alot of nice fish out of areas like that. We dont seem to have the same luck in the main channels. Now when there is an abundence of liquid sunshine we have had some great days. It does not seem to matter what are of the rivers we fish. Mind you Im talking bows and dollies here not salmon
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default mid fork Gulkana

Have 4-wheeled in and fished the middle fork of the Gulkana 4 times for grayling. Three times it was an absolute blast --fish jumping out of the air to hit my fly before it landed...catching fish accidentally while scratching myself (bugs) and letting the fly dangle next to me..that kinda stuff. Nice sunny summer days. One trip though, we arrived as a nasty front was moving in. I caught 1 grayling on my first cast, and then for the next 6 hours - absolutely nothing. It was as if someone had thrown a switch and turned off the river completely. It was really weird....anecdotal evidence only, but I do believe for certain Alaska species there is a barometric effect to be reckoned with.

I too have started to watch the baro effect on lake fishing in winter(pike)....I have noticed much better fish counts when the pressure is high...coincidence?...I have no idea...

one sunny day I caught 10+ fish in a few day it was miserable blowing snow, crappy weather, fishing the same holes, and I got skunked.....who knows...
    pull my finger....