Thread: Using jet boat at deep creek

Default Using jet boat at deep creek

I am wondering if anybody has used anything similar to a 21' ThunderJet at Deep Creek, using the tractor launch on a "fairly calm day"? Thanks...

all the time. we take our 21 foot jet out all the time. Bunks on your trailer will help a lot when coming in but not nessacerry?

I think the tractor launch folks require side bunks on the trailer for launching and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    I think the tractor launch folks require side bunks on the trailer for launching and recovery.
    The tractors will not launch you without sideboards on your trailer. No exceptions.

Default Thanks for your replies, guys...

I have talked to Marine Services and do have side bunks, I am just wondering how a "reverse three step chine v-hull jet does in 2-4' chop and about how far you guys will venture "from the beach" as opposed to a deep vee saltwater boat. My boat has the Hamilton 212 pump with stainless impellers, and would always "flush-dunk" in fresh water on my way home, since a garden hose cant quite "flush a pump type drive properly! More thoughts please

Anchor Point has another tractor launch. If Joey is still running it he was really cool. Deep Creek people would stop running at a set time regardless of what happens. We blew a motor and they wouldn't stay open late until we got in. Joey would stay open until the last trailer was reloaded. We tended to run 20 miles off the beach, but there was good fishing about 9 miles off the beach from Anchor Point. As far as your ride goes, you will bounce around, but you should be fine. I've seen 18' Lund's out there and they are so light that a ripple will bounce them. Just pick your day have fun and watch the weather.

Default joey gave it up.

both launches are now run by the same outfit, as far as i know.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

In that case In would put in at Homer and go out of there.

We only run 3-4 miles out of Deep creek and do fine. Always get our limit. I have a 3 stage hamilton jet and I stop at the car wash on the way home spray all down best I can and when I get back I leave the boat on the trailer back into the water and let it run until it gets to temp. Been doing it for years now with no problem. I have seen Sea arks out there you will be fine.

Default Launch

I've launched my 21' Thunder Jet there plenty, it's really not a big deal just make sure you look at the marine forecasts before heading out. On the way out in Soldotna there's a state park that has a launch where I do a fresh water rinse on my system.

I've taken my SportJon out of Homer. I think the seas are generally a little flateer down in Kacemak Bay, but they can get sqirrelly there too. We had 2-3 ft swells and a little chop and it wasn't terribly pleasant in that riverboat. I wouldn't take my boat out of Deep Creek, but yours should be fine on a relatively calm day.