Thread: Close encounter at the bear bait

Default Close encounter at the bear bait

You know youve made a bad decision when you walk into your previously unhit bearbait to check and run into a large grizz, at under 20 yards. Making matters worse is that the only weapon your carring is a bag of alpo and a gallon jug of oil and anise. Makes you want to kick your partner in the knee dont it?

Well since you are posting this.... how did the bear like your partner?

If you need back-up going in let me know
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Been there before, but always with a handgun in hand!
    I drop the bait about 100 yds from the ststion & then check out the bait carefully for lingering visitors. Then I get the bait & bait up with gun at hand at all times (and head rotating 360* since I hunt alone).

Let's here the rest of the story!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Well since you are posting this.... how did the bear like your partner?
    And just how hard did you have to kick your partner?

Shouldn't have suprised you baiting where you do, when they gonna make it legal to bait griz down there??....grin My money is on Johnny outrunning you to the boat!

Default Everytime

While driving to my bait stand I always have it run through my head, is a grizz going to be defending "MY" bait site? I have had a few grizz for the past couple yaers, with no problems. I hope to keep it that way. I will say that my heart rate goes up to about double and my head is on a swivel while walking into the stand. Once I get in the stand all is normal untill a twig snaps, and then the heart goes up again. God I love that rush. When I stop getting it, I will be giving away my guns or pushing up daisies.

I assume the bear turned and ran, due to you posting this. What did the partner do?

Default Cub

It was me and dennis. I got two baits that direction and dennis has his condo. I had one bait hit with blackies. I think Ill hunt that one.

Default AFHunter

The bear turned and left,,,,,I thought. Then he did a 180 and came back in on us. We did a orderly retreat and let old sloughfoot have the bait. 20 yards is to close in the thick stuff for my taste. Darn bear trashed my last beaver as well.

Played ring around the cottonwood more then one time with a few grizz over the years. In fact it's what made me bump up to a .416!