Thread: Bear med.

Default Bear med.

I don't know wether to post this here or the Pistol forum but-- I'm going to carry a .44 in a shoulder holster, for bear while fishing . My thought is carry on an empty cylinder. Does every body do that? If I need it, things don't happen that quickly , do they?
    12 days and counting!!!

Default either way

you have to pull the trigger - IF it happens I hear it is usually real fast....

The self defense pros carry on an empty cylinder - double action brings you up on the full round - single action does the same. You are more likely to shoot yourself drawing than having a Griz eat you.

You don't need an empty if your pistol has a transfer bar. The empty is only for old school weapons that the hammer actually impacts the primer. I don't off hand know of any modern revolvers that still do that.

Freedom M-83 is not 100% safe with all 5 cylinders loaded. All modern Ruger single action revolvers are safe to carry fully loaded as well as all double action revolvers that I am aware of.

Default Bullelk,

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

The self defense pros carry on an empty cylinder - double action brings you up on the full round - single action does the same. You are more likely to shoot yourself drawing than having a Griz eat you.
    I've been in the business of firearms and instructing most of my adult life and I don't know any self defense pros that carry on an empty chamber. Pistol or revolver.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

With the possible exception of the freedom arms, (never owned one), all other modern guns carry safely with a round under the hammer. Never know, that last shot could be the one that saves your life. I would and do carry the gun full.

Default "Why do you only carry five in the gun?"

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Freedom M-83 is not 100% safe with all 5 cylinders loaded. All modern Ruger single action revolvers are safe to carry fully loaded as well as all double action revolvers that I am aware of.

Good point about hte M83, the five shooter is really only safe with four in the cylinder. Freedom Arms does say don't carry with a round under the hammer. I wouldn't in a shoulder holster for sure. The FA model 97 has a transfer bar and is safe with five. Old style ruger SA revolvers (pre 1972) are to be carried with an empy chamber under the hammer. DA Rugers, S&W and all others I know of can be safely carried a full cylinder.

I carry everything but old style SA Rugers, Colts and FA 83's fully loaded, revolver or semi-auto with a round under the hammer. They are quicker that way.

"For safety, so I won't shoot my foot off."
    "What if you're going up against bad guys?"
    "If your insides tell ya to load six, load six, otherwise just load five for safety"

J.B. Books and Gillam Rodgers

John Wayne and Ronnie Howard in the Shootist.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Terminology nit to pick

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

If anyone carries with an empty cylinder, then they are carrying an empty gun. Most modern revolvers have only one cylinder. Said cylinder usually has 6; but often 5, 7, 8 or 9 chambers can be found.

To repeat. Revolvers have one cylinder, multiple chambers.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Default Not all modern guns

Quote Originally Posted by dorm View Post
    With the possible exception of the freedom arms, (never owned one), all other modern guns carry safely with a round under the hammer. Never know, that last shot could be the one that saves your life. I would and do carry the gun full.
    There are lots of newly manufactured revolvers in which it is not advisable to carry with the chamber under the hammer loaded with a live round.

Most that I know of are modern replicas of vintage revolvers, but there are lots of those.

Lost Sheep (Larry)
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 06-01-2008 at 02:07. Reason: Signature

Default How to tell

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    I don't know wether to post this here or the Pistol forum but-- I'm going to carry a .44 in a shoulder holster, for bear while fishing . My thought is carry on an empty cylinder. Does every body do that? If I need it, things don't happen that quickly , do they?
    12 days and counting!!!
    To answer the question I THINK you are asking, "Is my gun safe to carry with all chambers loaded?".

Empty the cylinder, all chambers.

Cycle the action (basically do what it takes to drop the hammer as if firing the gun, but keep the trigger pulled all the way back for the purpose of this exercise.) It is not necessary to "dry fire" the gun, You can lower the hammer slowly if you prefer. Just KEEP THE TRIGGER PULLED.

Observe the gap between the breechface and the back of the cylinder. This is the area where the firing pin would hit the primer if the gun were loaded (which it is NOT right now). Hold the gun up to so a light is shining through that gap. You should be able to see the side of the tip of the firing pin.

As you observe the tip of the firing pin, release the trigger. If the firing pin retracts out of position to contact a primer (if the gun were loaded), then your gun is safe to carry with all chambers loaded.

If you can figure out how to cycle the action of your revolver with the cylinder out, you can see this easily. (It's easy. For guns with swingout cylinders, open the cylinger and then just hold the cylinder release latch in opposition to its spring pressure. Cycle the action) For typical single action revolvers, just pull the base pin to drop the cylinder out. The action should cycle with no problem.

I was stationed with a guy years ago who had a 44 caliber groove down the back of his calf from a .44 Magnum that went off in its (hip) holster. He was cinching up a saddle when the stirrup fell from its perch on the saddle horn and struck the back of the hammer on his 44. Similar events can happen if you drop the gun on a hard surface with the hammer striking first.

I hope this post is constructive and positive enough to make up for my prior posts.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Default If you think ANY gun is safe from accidental discharge

If you think ANY gun is safe from accidental discharge, read this

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/332107195

The story of a Colt 1991 with the grip safety, manual safety and trigger/firing pin block safety and yet it still went off when it was sucked into an MRI machine. And the hammer was not involved!

Fascinating.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    There are lots of newly manufactured revolvers in which it is not advisable to carry with the chamber under the hammer loaded with a live round.

Most that I know of are modern replicas of vintage revolvers, but there are lots of those.

Lost Sheep (Larry)
    So how about naming a few? Some of my friends are cowboy action shooters. Between them they have all kinds of modern replicas of old revolvers. ALL have the transfer bar, NONE rest a firing pin on a primer.

The only modern gun that does not have the transfer bar that I have heard of is the FA mentioned on this forum. All the FA's I have seen did have the transfer bar.

It would make sense that in todays sue happy society it would be very unlikely that any manufacturer would open themselves to a lawsuit by making what would be considered an unsafe firearm.

Default RU Serious dorm?

Quote Originally Posted by dorm View Post
    So how about naming a few? Some of my friends are cowboy action shooters. Between them they have all kinds of modern replicas of old revolvers. ALL have the transfer bar, NONE rest a firing pin on a primer.

The only modern gun that does not have the transfer bar that I have heard of is the FA mentioned on this forum. All the FA's I have seen did have the transfer bar.

It would make sense that in todays sue happy society it would be very unlikely that any manufacturer would open themselves to a lawsuit by making what would be considered an unsafe firearm.

We can start with the brand new Colt P model in the showcase dorm! My AWA Peacemaker is a clone of the Colt as are many of the "spaghetti" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    We can start with the brand new Colt P model in the showcase dorm! My AWA Peacemaker is a clone of the Colt as are many of the "spaghetti" guns.

I did a little research, appears as if some of the cowboy guns do not have the transfer bar system. I apologize for that error.