Thread: Lake Creek mid June

Default Lake Creek mid June

Hi,

I am floating from Chelatna with 2 friends lake creek. We start June 20th. We have 7 days planned on the river for fishing and floating.

My first trip to Alaska, I have plenty of experience rafting, we are going to be in small personal pontoons, ranging form 10-12 ft long. We have done this on many rivers in the Rockies, and class 4 water is no issue for us. Sounds like only 2 major rapids, both scoutable and runnable.

What I am most curious about is the fishing. It appears we may be a bit early for the kings, but this is when we are going to be there. Personally I am looking forward to the rainbows and grayling.

Any suggestions and recommendations.

If anyone is looking for recomendations for Colorado, Wyoming and New-Mexico I am glad to lend a hand.

Thanks.

You're not early for kings although the run seems a little late this year but I am NOT an expert. I have fished fish creek that time of year and the kings have been there.

If you have significant white water experience you won't need to stop and scout any of the rapids on lake creek. They are all straight foward class III. There are no class IV rapids on this river. I've run it at very high and low levels and haven't seen anything class IV on it. You won't be disapointed by the trout and greyling on lake creek.

Default See ya there

I'll be there 21-25 Jun. I have a similar post on the fly fishing forum if you want to check it out for more info. I'll be in a green 14ft raft. Shoot me a pm if you want more info. I hope the Kings will be there too!

Sent you a PM

ClearCreek

Ok guys, thanks for the replys and pm's. Now how about some recomendations... flies in particular. We are just now getting started tying up for the trip.

We will be loading up in Anchorage too, any great shops we should visit?

Thanks,
    Greg

World Wide Angler

http://www.akflyshop.com/

Mountainview Sports

http://www.mtviewsports.com/

Sportsmans Warehouse

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...m?storeNum=121

If you're going to be down on the peninsula

Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna

http://www.soldotnahardware.com/

Kens Tackle in Soldotna

http://www.kensalaskantackle.com/

Default McAfee's - 3 Rivers

If you're down around Diamond Blvd in Anchorage, McAfee's is one of the fine local shops too. Up in Wasilla (driving north on the Parks Hwy) is another local fly shop, 3 Rivers. The local fly shops are good places for local fishing/fly info.

A comprehensive list, with contact info at this website: http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=9962

Have a great trip.

Bringing the thread back to the top:

We will be heading to Anchorage on Thursday evening. Flying to Chelatna on Friday afternoon. I am hoping to get some final reports on the fishing before we head out. SO how is it so far? Have the Kings showed up yet? Anyone run Lake creek yet, how was it?

I seriously believe this will be a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks,

Default about that time

I'm getting excited too. We fly on Saturday!! I still haven't heard excatly what to use for the trout. I guess I'm going to end up taking a little bit of everything and trying to figure what works best.
    If anybody knows what flys/patterns to use please share.
    Thanks- see you on the river

I spent this last week end on Lake Creek. There were four of us. Friday we fished for about 7 hours and had one fish (36) in the boat and one other hit. Saturday we fished for about 10 hours and had two fish in the boat (34 and 18). We saw probably another 5 or 6 taken by other boats. Sunday we fished for about 6 1/2 hours, didn't even get a strike. We saw three fish on but only two landed. It was slow. It had rained Friday night and between that and the snow pack melting the river was up and very muddy. If you are floating be really aware of stuff floating down the creek.

Default start floating on Sat

Bill,
    Thanks for the report. Did you try fishing for trout at all. Now I'm excited and worried.

Bnkwnto,

Sent you a report from a guide. It was helpful in terms of trout. Sounds like there are plenty in the upper river, and grayling. It also sounds like as of 10 days ago the kings are starting to arrive in the lower river, should be in the upper by the time we get there (Tomorrow baby... yeah!!!)

I arrive in Anchorage tonight at 9:00 and fly out tomorrow afternoon. Just enough time for final provisions, check the gear and head to lake hood.

Have an awesome trip, I will watch for you on the river.

Oh, and I am finally getting a bit worried.... but not about the fishing. The family has me all stressed about bears. Gonna buy 18 cans of pepper spray, attach them to suspenders and wear them like bandolero's... then when the bear is chomping down, he will set off pepper spray grenades right in his own face.......

Good luck and tight lines....

Greg

We saw quite a few trout jumping (don't know why), they did not look like jacks. The water was too muddy to spend a lot of time fishing for them. The forecast is for the water to clear up by this week end.
    As for bears, they are out there but the four or five trips I've taken out there I have never seen one. Talking to some of the lodge guides, the sightings have not been that numerous. But as we tell all visitors in a productive fishing hole, "LOOK OUT THERE'S A BEAR!!!!! I'll just fish in that spot so you'll be safe."
    Good luck on the trip.

Default bears

Greg,
    I fished, hunted and camped alot here I've never really had a problem with the bears. I normally carry my .500 pistol just in case but you should be fine with pepper spray. My wife gets a little worried but as long as you can stay away from the sows with cubs there shouldn't be a problem.
    I'll see you on the river. You'll have to try some of my wife's cooking