Thread: Commercial Ride-alongs?

Default Commercial Ride-alongs?

Was BS'ing with a California resident on a cruise in the weight room lat week and he told me he goes up every year to Alaska and pays $400/week to fish off the back of a commerical fishing rig. They even pack his fish for him and supply bait/rods. Anyone here know of any commercial entities that allow this? I should of asked him the name of the fisherman but I didn't. My mistake, for this sounds like a GREAT deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    Was BS'ing with a California resident on a cruise in the weight room lat week and he told me he goes up every year to Alaska and pays $400/week to fish off the back of a commerical fishing rig. They even pack his fish for him and supply bait/rods. Anyone here know of any commercial entities that allow this? I should of asked him the name of the fisherman but I didn't. My mistake, for this sounds like a GREAT deal.
    I'd bet he meant he paid 400 a day to fish with a charter guy. I think its a law you can't sport fish & commercial fish at the same time from the same boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder is correct. You cannot legally sportfish from a commercial vessel.

You cannot sport, sport-charter AND commercial at the same time...however, you CAN get a 7-day crew license and pay for the opportunity to "deckhand" for a commercial operation. The names escape me, but I seem to remember 2 or 3 gillnetters that offer such trips, as well as a handful of trollers. The only way you can "sportfish" off of a commercial-charter vessel in any quasi-legal fashion is to fish salmon with 2 or fewer rods from a vessel with a hand-troll permit.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Default artsbest

Smolt is correct. PM me and I will steer you in the right direction.