Thread: Helpful hint on Buying Hunting Boots and other outdoor gear

Default Helpful hint on Buying Hunting Boots and other outdoor gear

Since I have found the information on this forum so helpful and all the participants have provided me with such good feedback I wanted to share a little information about my recent purchase decision for sheep hunting boots and a way to save money when purchasing them as well as other outdoor gear.

Earlier this year I was debating which boot to get--between the Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme and the Lowa Tibet GTX--listened to the many opinions on this forum to guide my decision and I ended up going with the Tibets. I have been breaking them in lately and they are very comfortable and I am pleased with my purchase so far but my sheep and goat hunt this fall will be the true measure of their quality and if I chose wisely. I also switched the factory insoles out with the Superfeet insoles (green ones) based on positive feedback from this forum--I think these insoles were a great purchase as well. I will report back on my post-hunt impressions at the end of August...

What was an easy choice for me was where to buy them--I went with Shoebuy.com--believe they have some of the best prices out there and the best return policy--free shipping both ways and no taxes--so I ended up buying a pair of both the Tibets and the Hunters to compare them side-by-side---unfortunately they didn't have the Hunters in my size so it wasn't exactly a fair comparison--after a few days of checking both of them out and posting a few more questions to this forum I decided to keep the Tibets, so I simply returned the Hunters with free shipping--totally easy transaction and great customer service.
    Here is the link to the Lowa's they sell:
    http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-shoes.htm

Also--please note that if it is your first purchase with Shoebuy you will get another 10% off the purchase price (during the check out process you have the chance to get this discount)--they also run holiday specials all the time with up to 20% off--they just recently had a Mother's Day sale and I imagine they also had a Memorial day sale--next opportunity for this extra % off should be Father's Day or the 4th of July.

I got the Lowa Tibet's for $186 after the Shoebuy sales price and other discounts. The Hunters, had I kept them, were only $230.

And finally--there is another way to save even more on your boot purchases--I belong to a site called Mrrebates.com--doesn't cost anything at all to join but does provide an extra % off many purchases.

Here is how it works--when you go to a shopping website while you are logged into the MrRebates website you can take advantage of a rebate % off your purcahses--for example, you will get another 12% off your Shoebuy purchases--this rebate is credited to your MrRebate account and after 90 days you can request them to send you a check for whatever your rebate total is---I have been a member of this site for about a year now and always check thru them if they offer an additional % off before I go directly to a vendor's website--I think I have gotten over $110 on rebate checks from them due to my various purchases--everything from contact lenses to vitamins to office supplies and department store purchases like Target. You might want to check this site out regardless of whether you want to buy thru Shoebuy or not.

Just another helpful hint to safe you some money outfitting yourself with all that expensive "cool gear" for hunting and fishing...

Great information, but a word of caution on behalf of the local guys. I like the best deal I can get as much as the next guy but there is a downside in these nich markets. As an avid hockey player from near birth I can speak to what happens when we fail to patronize our local dealers! The valley was unable to support a hocky shop for many years despite having plenty of local players because they just used it as their personal "fitting room"! I guess my point is if you want to go through the hassle of buying, trying on and exchanging ill fitting internet purchases then so be it but please don't go try gear on locally at Wiggy's AK or Barneys amongst numerous others and then undercut them on the web. You doing this forces them to either start charging for fittings or possibly go under all together! I am not perfect and I will not pass up a truly unbeatable deal like Lowa's for $230 but when the difference is $20-30 go local!
    Recently I paid $20 for 10 coupons from the Boy Scouts to Sportsmans W/H. I got to support the Scouts and have allready saved over $100 and have seven 10% off coupons left! I picked up a $345msrp pair of Kenetreks for $265 locally which is hard to beat! I prefer smaller shops than Sportsmans but even chains like them can go under and do with shocking regularity if people don't shop there. Allright rant over, I am gonna go back to searching the web for unbeatable deals..

Default Agree with you

LuJon:

Agree with your thoughts--I always like to support the local guy if their price is in the ballpark and they provide me with customer service--one of the advantages a retail store and the local store has over the internet is just walking thru it and finding all those things you never knew you just had to buy--as well as talking with the owners, store employees, as well as fellow customers on their adventures.

The information in my posting was just meant to provide information I think is valuable and might save somebody a few bucks--also, seems to me that there is a healthy population on this forum that aren't even Alaskan residents--this could help them out as they prepare their gear lists prior to coming here to hunt/fish.

Also, the website I mentioned, MrRebates.com can be used for other purchases as well as products totally unrelated to hunting, fishing, camping and hard to find in Alaska or which they would normally buy via the internet anyway--to be able to go thru a website and get an additional rebate % off is a valuable tip I think.

Happy shopping...

to be able to go thru a website and get an additional rebate % off is a valuable tip I think.
    I agree and will check it out for sure!