Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symphony/Rabbit Lakes

Default Symphony/Rabbit Lakes

Has anyone been to these lakes recently and if so, are they thawed out? Looking to do some fishing. Thanks!

Are you talking about Symphony lake that is accessed off Hiland road in Eagle River?

I'd assume that's the symphony lake he's asking about. If it is I would love to know also, as I was lookin' at headin' up that way sometime this next week.

Jon

yeah, the symphony lake up the south fork valley (hiland rd). i may end up heading out there in the next few days if i don't get any replies suggesting its still frozen and will let you all know what i see. i bet it still is as i was up there June 2nd last year and the far half was till frozen. grayling were rising but out of reach of both my fly rod and lightweight spinning rod.

Sounds like your doin' what I was lookin' at doin. Let us know how it goes and what type of ice/snow is back there.

Jon

Default eagle/symphony lake

I didn't happen to look at Symphony, but I was out at Eagle lake on Memorial day and it is still I'd say 70-80% ice covered.

violentweather, thanks for the heads up, that helps. if eagle lake is like that, symphony lake is the same or has more ice. it is smaller and tucked up in the terrain, so it takes a little longer to thaw. i'll save it for a few weeks from now.

Default Symphony

Quote Originally Posted by violentweather View Post
    I didn't happen to look at Symphony, but I was out at Eagle lake on Memorial day and it is still I'd say 70-80% ice covered.
    I was at Symphony yesterday. It is almost entirely iced over. Lots of wildlife viewing though - Ptarmigan, ewes and lambs, and a grizzly checking under the rocks up on the mountainside. If you are going there for the fishing, can I be so bold as to encourage catch and release? Lots of people hiking in on our way out. Most had a fishing pole and asked the same question... "Has the ice broke yet?"
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I was at Symphony yesterday. It is almost entirely iced over. Lots of wildlife viewing though - Ptarmigan, ewes and lambs, and a grizzly checking under the rocks up on the mountainside. If you are going there for the fishing, can I be so bold as to encourage catch and release? Lots of people hiking in on our way out. Most had a fishing pole and asked the same question... "Has the ice broke yet?"
    I'm completely with you here, Symphony is a awesome place to fish at, and I'd hate to see people overfish it.

It's nice to be able to catch fish consistently while your water for dinner gets ready.

You saw a grizz huh? Lucky. I've never seen hide nor hair and certainly not the beast himself back in there. Sounds like you had an awesome hike, keep it up and enjoy the summer!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Sounds like you had an awesome hike, keep it up and enjoy the summer!

Jon
    Yeah... couldn't have asked for any better out of a first hike of the year.

Thanks for the reply Carnivore. I won't head out for a while if the ice is that thick. No i catch and release all fish except for salmon and maybe some small rainbows in area lakes. We saw two wolverines last year this time right there about 50 yds into the moraine field.

Thanks again!

As an aside, F&G usually stocks that lake with grayling every year so I wouldn't worry about overfishing it.

Default great kids hike

Symphony is my seven year olds favorite hike...he is already asking when we can go catch some grayling. I've never fishing ice out grayling, will they hit fly's being pulled off the ice and falling in the water? I know this was deadly in Minnesota for early season pan fish.
    How bad was the mud on the way out?

Default mud

"How bad was the mud on the way out?"

Mud's not bad.

I just looked up ADF&G's stocking plan for 2008. Symphony lake does not get stocked, and it hasn't been stocked since 2003, according to their website search.

Default stocked

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    I just looked up ADF&G's stocking plan for 2008. Symphony lake does not get stocked, and it hasn't been stocked since 2003, according to their website search.
    I didn't think it was being stocked but did not know enough to disagree with anyone. Thanks for looking it up.

Question

Does anybody know if rabbit lake is thawed? I live on the lower anchorage hillside and have heard that the lake has some huge rainbow trout... relatively secluded lake.

Anybody have any updates on Rabbit Lake? Is everything thawed and clear?

Default Remote lakes

This is an exerp from adf&g's lake fishing report for June 24-30th.

-"Remote lakes Symphony Lake is open and fishing is reported to be good for Arctic grayling. Rabbit Lake is still frozen with some areas of overflow. These lakes require a lengthy scenic hike, but the solitude and fishing is worth the journey."-

Almost July and its still frozen...poor fish

Quote Originally Posted by AKTrailblazer View Post
    This is an exerp from adf&g's lake fishing report for June 24-30th.

-"Remote lakes Symphony Lake is open and fishing is reported to be good for Arctic grayling. Rabbit Lake is still frozen with some areas of overflow. These lakes require a lengthy scenic hike, but the solitude and fishing is worth the journey."-

Almost July and its still frozen...poor fish
    Thanks for the update. I'll be hiking there this weekend and will post more updates if there are changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast