Thread: What do you do with your skulls?

Default What do you do with your skulls?

I think I remember a little chatter on this subject a while back, but I don't think there was an actual thread specific to it. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, just point me to it!

What do you do with your bear skulls? What have you done that turned out well, and what didn't turn out as nice as you would have liked. I'm just looking for some ideas.

I got my first bear last weekend, not quite a big enough hide to make a good rug (I'm getting it tanned though). He had a decent noggin, so I thought I could do something with the skull. The idea I was given so far was to put him in a shrimp pot overnight in PWS, let the little sea creatures do all the work, then boil off any extra and finally bleach it.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

I remember reading about alot of bleaching/whitening tips- try searching maybe?

I remember hydrogen peroxide works well and elemers glue does a good job for glueing peices together

Default After seeing what happened inside my shrimp pots...

to a couple of extra herring that I put in the bait cage, I wouldn't be surprised to see that those little sea creatures cleaned up that skull as good as any land beetles. The other thing I'm thinking is that the bear detritus will attract some of those tasty little shrimps, too! What a win-win...I'll try it this weekend and see if I can get some pictures to document the progress...

They probably wouldn't be able/interested in chopping through some of the ligaments but we'll just have to see!

I have soaked my skulls in a borax solution for a few days and all the flesh comes right off, no need for boiling. Then I rinse it and rub in a little furniture or linseed oil.

Default Skulls

Keep'em if I want them...other than that donate them to the schools, kids love looking at them as well as holding them.

Send them to Skulls Unlimited in Oklahoma, you will find none better. http://www.skullsunlimited.com/

I just cleaned one the other day. Cleaned it off as good as I could before boiling it for about a 1/2 hour. Added dawn dish soap to the water to cut the grease. Then I took the pressure washer to it and finished cleaning it up. I am going to try to whiten it with some 40% hydrogen peroxide. Got the peroxide from a beauty supply place. It was the only place I could find any that was 40%. Found out that you have to be a licensed beautician to buy it from them. One of the neighbors is licensed so I had her get it for me.

Default before bleaching

After cleaning it, take all of the teeth out before you bleach it. I have seen a couple that have been done and I think the old stained teeth on the white skull look way better than having the teeth bleach also.
    DJ

Default Second Vote

I'll second what AKFishOn said. Send your skulls to Skulls Unlimited. They have done a black bear skull and a pronghorn skull for me and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do as well.

I'll be leaving for Africa on Saturday and the lioness skull is scheduled to go to the same place (after I shoot one).

Default DIY Bear Skulls

I took mine to a guy that uses bettles also. Local to me, Buckeye Skulls.

Good luck Phil on the lioness.

Will

One of my buds has a wolf skull and I have a fox skull that I kept this year. We're going to dunk them in a bait sack and see what the sand fleas can do for them.
    Now what ?

Default Sand Fleas

Sand fleas work great. Soaked these two critter skulls for a buddy. Took 3 days to get it done. The fleas did not seam as bad as normal.

Steve

I actually put up a question on this and got some great feedback, I'd search the forums. One thing I tried that definitely did not work was to bury the skull. Guess there's just not enough bugs to do the work in my backyard...

Good luck!

-HT

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sand fleas work great. Soaked these two critter skulls for a buddy. Took 3 days to get it done. The fleas did not seam as bad as normal.

Steve

We were talking about trying this while bear hunting this year. I have two skulls I need to do. Did the sand flees do anything undesirable to the skulls?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

No they just ate anything soft. Had 2 shrimp pots stolen this trip. I have a bear skull that I'm going to drop if I go back this week just hope no one pulls my pots again.

Steve