Thread: Garrett Cartridges Now Available

Default Garrett Cartridges Now Available

I've got great news for those of you who are fans of Garrett ammo...

They will now ship to Alaska. There will be a $50 fee charged to each order (not box), to cover the addtional costs related to transferring 'haz mat'.

Since this is a new deal... Randy made sure to mention that they may have to adjust the shipping charges for large orders or if the costs turn out to be higher than expected.

For those of you not familar with this ammo, I've included a link to their website. It's really awesome stuff IMHO. I carry a 45/70 and/or a 44 mag quite a bit, and I've always had to buy Garrett's ammo in the lower 48 and fly it up with me.

www.garrettcartridges.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well, bless their lil' ole pea pickin heart:

They are doing us a favor??? I hope it doesn't put too big of a strain on'em.

The fact that they wouldn't ship to the Greatland before, is hard to fathom, but a $50.00 extra charge seems like highway robbery.

No Thanks, I'm glad I can handload, and there is other good ammo available.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I handload for my 44 mag. here is a picture of my hand load which is a 320gr CastPerfomance bullet and it is accurate but I have not been able to dupicate Garrett ammon for my 44 for five reasons. 1. I can not match their velocities and I have tried with different powders. 2. I can not get their bullet since they make their own. 3. I have not been able to penetrate as far in my test media as the Garrett ammo. 4. Every cast bullet I have tried so far deforms more (bends) than does the Garret. 5. You can not do better or find better ammo including Buffalo Bore which I have also tried. 6. There simply is not a better 44 mag load for my Redhawk than Garrett. I use my hand load when I am out of Garrett ammo because it is expensive and sometimes when I am out of it I don't feel like spending the money. I challenge any of you to try and out perform Garrett ammo in 4 areas, 1. Velocity, 2. Accuracy, 3. Penetration, 4. Cast bullet construction and deformation. You might exceed one of these, possibly, but not in all four. Do a fair test and see just how excellent a product is the Garret ammon in 44 mag.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Well, bless their lil' ole pea pickin heart:

They are doing us a favor??? I hope it doesn't put too big of a strain on'em.

The fact that they wouldn't ship to the Greatland before, is hard to fathom, but a $50.00 extra charge seems like highway robbery.

No Thanks, I'm glad I can handload, and there is other good ammo available.

Smitty of the North
    Yup and Buffalo Bore is just as good with more choices.
    Now what ?

Beartooth has it right IMO. I've tested Buffalo Bore, Alaska Backpacker, Federal CastCore, and Corbon and Garretts are faster and shoot tighter groups for me. They also have bigger meplats. I suspect Garrett lead is harder as well, but I don't know for sure becuase a lot of the others don't produce information about what's in their lead.

Smitty, regarding the $50 charge, you can thank the feds for that, they are the ones who make the rules about shipping ammo.

I handload as well, but a lot of people don't and having the option to order these rounds from Alaska is a good thing.

I suspect that Garrett would be willing to process a group order for us if we asked, and thus the 'haz mat' charge could be spread out and minimized.

I bough two boxes through the mail from a shop in Jueano. The Garrett ammo is not cheap by any stretch of the mind. Too darn expensive to just shoot for the heck of it. It is on stock at that shop, or was. Call Garret and ask for a dealer here in Alaska.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Al,

I think you may be refferring to Rayco in Juneau, and they don't carry it anymore from what I can tell. Garrett's site used to list them as a distributor, but doesn't anymore. I travel to Juneau about 4 times a year for work, and I always go in there to check things out. I've never seen the Garrett stuff in there, and when I ask whoever is working the counter they don't seem to know anything about them. BTW Rayco is a great gun store for anyone who hasn't been there, you should check it out if you are ever in Juneau... Lots of cool stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mclalaska View Post
    Al,

I think you may be refferring to Rayco in Juneau, and they don't carry it anymore from what I can tell. Garrett's site used to list them as a distributor, but doesn't anymore. I travel to Juneau about 4 times a year for work, and I always go in there to check things out. I've never seen the Garrett stuff in there, and when I ask whoever is working the counter they don't seem to know anything about them. BTW Rayco is a great gun store for anyone who hasn't been there, you should check it out if you are ever in Juneau... Lots of cool stuff in there.
    Rayco's is always on my list of stops when I'm in Juneau.

It always amazes me that Rayco can have soooo much cool stuff. I thought they still had some Garrett 45-70. Bought some there last year.

Ray is a really nice guy too. I'm sure he would order some (or just about anything) if you asked.

...not to mention the treasures up stairs....

Quote Originally Posted by mclalaska View Post
    Al,

To be honest my memory does not carry the information any longer, Maybe I still have the shipping box down stairs in the shop. (if the boss didn't grab it to burn, she's bad about that).

I called or e-mailed them and got the location of a dealer here in Alaska.

What I do know, I ain't paying that kind of shipping fees for ammo. They can kiss my fanny, Not me!

I really do feel that the bullets that our own RANGER RICK makes are every bit as good. I do not believe that they don't need to be above 1,000 fps to work. I'm sure no one will agree with me and I don't really care. I've seen first hand what works on moose and bear with Ricks bullets. Ricks bullets are every bit as good as anybody else's. I think he is the most underrated supplier out there. The Man is an underrated asset to the shooters of Alaska.

Just my two cents!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I didn't know there is an upstairs at Rayco! I'll definelty have to check that out... Since I won't be in Juneau for another month or two, can you tell me what they have up there?

I don't think I've ever asked Ray himself specifically about the Garretts, rather I was talking to one of his employees. I've always gotten the "Gee I don't know, doesn't ring a bell, if we have them they'd be over there (with a point to the rifle ammo section).....

Al, regarding velocity, I tend to agree with you, and I belive Randy Garrett does too. He makes a "Defender" 44 mag round that is backed off about 300 fps from the hotter loads that he says will penetrate 75% as well as the hot stuff, which he argues is just as effective on a bear skull in terms of putting the bear down... Obvisuoly, the slower load increasese practical accuracy of follow-up shots... I think it is moving about 1000 fps