Thread: wheelchair accessible fishing spots

Default wheelchair accessible fishing spots

Does anyone know of any good wheelchair accessible fishing spots/docks in the Anchorage or Kenai Peninsula? I haven't had a chance to go fishing since moving up here 7 years ago, but would like to go this summer finally.

Thumbs up I know

That there is a handicapped spot set aside at the russian/kenai confluance. It is just up stream from the marker that starts the sancturary. So in all reality it is in the sancturary. It is open on the 11th of june even when the the rest of the sancturary is not. It is for handicapped only and is a very very nice spot to fish and I have seen alot of people in wheel chairs fishing there. On that note I do not recall of there is a ramp to get on and off the russian river ferry as your gonna need to take it to get there. That area is managed by alaska recreation management I believe is the name. They are here in anchorage. Id give them a call as see about the wheelchair. If there is a ramp it is a great place to catch reds and your not in the combat zone. Then you can sit back and watch the "fun" of 1000 or so close friends in the combat zone. The handicapped zone is just below the ferry crossing. Im shooting you a link of the web cam looking right at that area. It is on 24/7 and updates every 15 minutes so you can see the area. As your looking at this cam it the area is right about your 1 oclock from this view.
    I hope this helps you out a bit

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=12&viewId=6

Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

You might try the trail race the kings will be coming in and they have a nice big level parking lot great D1 mild slope short trail to the waters edge and pretty clear level shore line to fish from

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Swiftwater park in Soldotna has some wheel chair access to the Kenia. They have nice docks you can go from parking out on the metal grate without issue in a wheelchair. Also happens to be pretty good water out in front of the area for reds and silvers. Don't know about kings, but worked well for silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Swiftwater park in Soldotna has some wheel chair access to the Kenia. They have nice docks you can go from parking out on the metal grate without issue in a wheelchair. Also happens to be pretty good water out in front of the area for reds and silvers. Don't know about kings, but worked well for silvers.
    And Pinks

Default homer fishing hole

has a wheelchair access. pretty good spot, too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Matanuska lake looks to be accessible for folks in a wheel chair. A good path to the lake and a dock with high rails that sits out over some decent water. Good lake for trout and char.

I second the trail race for wheel chair access. it's a good one.

also, did I see some walk ways on the little Su below the landing for wheel chairs?? I'm not sure.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Ship has one, don't know if it's any good or not, but it's there.

Jon

Default I don't know how good the spot is,

but Stariski Creek has a big new-looking ramp leading down to the water just off the Sterling Highway.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Default Campbell Creek

There is a large wheelchair-accessible platform on Campbell Ck in Anchorage, right off the greenbelt trail just on the west side of the Minnesota Street bridge. Its right above a deep, if way over-fished hole ... numerous silvers circling around in it last summer but they were all wise the ways of Vibrax.