Thread: Best tires in sand?

Default Best tires in sand?

My apologies if this is addressed somewhere else but I'm new here and tried the search thing and found nothing. I'm building a cabin on the coast and barged down an ATV (450 Grizzly) and a boat to launch off beach. Trouble is the ATV can't get enough traction to pull the boat trailer across the soft sand. It has the stock tires that came with it and I'm hoping someone out there has run into something similar and found tires that will work. Right now I'm using the winch to help get above the high tide mark and into the trees where it's firm enough but the place is pretty remote and if the winch breaks I might be in trouble.

tracks would be best
    Semper Fi!

Lower the tire pressure, it works better than any expensive tire.

Lower pressure = higher contact patch.

KRS

In my experience with sand there are two ways to ride in the stuff. One way is light weight and very wide tires. The other way is a wide set of paddle tires and lots of power. You either have to float on the stuff and not spin a tire, or spin like crazy so you can basically hydroplane on the sand.

Don't they make sand paddles for that thing? Four tires spinning with sand paddles on...it would be unstoppable.

SandTiresUnlimited <-----clickit

Thanks for the advice. Gonna try some wider tires on both the ATV and the boat trailer. If that doesn't work I may try a 6 wheeler with tracks...next year though 'cuz too late to get it down this year. Anyone have experience with 6 wheelers on tracks?