Thread: Burbot in Anchorage

Default Burbot in Anchorage

Anyone have tips on what gear to use and the best places to try? My friend would like to add it to his list while he is in AK.

Any info appreciated.

Mark

I think the closest chance you have for burbot from Anchorage is in the Big Su.

The mouth of Rabideaux Creek is a great place to try. Remember that you won't catch them during the day, so throw a herring out on a hook with enough weight to hold it on the bottom and let it soak all night.

Thanks for the info I also would like to addBurbot to my list. Like bird watchers. Hey ther is not much "night" aronud June 11 -21. Will that be a factor?

Mouth of the deshka and the lower little su Big lake towards the lake exit in the flowing water is good in winter so I think they may be good in summer they spawn in spring and always in moving water.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    .....Hey ther is not much "night" aronud June 11 -21. Will that be a factor?
    Good question. I always target them in winter, so I'm not sure.

But I know several people who have caught them in summer in the Big Su near the feeder creek mouths (Rabideaux, Kashwitna, etc), and it was always by leaving bait soak during the night.

Even in winter I have my best luck between 11-12 in the evening to 6-10 in the morning (same is true of lake trout in Kenai Lake in summer/fall)