Thread: anchorage to susistna mouth via jetboat

Default anchorage to susistna mouth via jetboat

Has anybody ever tried to run from the port of anchorage to the susistna river mouth via jetboat. I am thinking of trying it to save time and money on a run up to the yentna river. I know tides would be important, but may just try it to see if it could be done this weekend. can the weather (waves) get big out there or is it really a simple thing?

Default Things to Consider

It's done quite often, however, there are some things you need to be aware of. The foremost of which is wind. Most folks make the crossing on an incoming tide to get off of a sandbar should they travel up the wrong braid at the mouth. If there is a strong Northwest wind blowing against the incoming tide, the inlet becomes a washing machine, and is no fun. Especially in a riverboat. The mouth of the Su is very braided, and can be difficult to find a good way in without having waymarks on a GPS. I would reccomend going with someone who has a good course mapped in a gps. Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of, is the Inlet really rips fast (3+ Kts). If your boat dies, you will be at the mercy of the tide (you'll be going places).
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default ive done it

a few times in my old zodiac. went to little su quite a few times in my jetboat until we got caught out there in some nasty stuff. it does get crappy out there, especially in the afternoon after the winds pick up. if i were to go id leave two hours before high tide in the am and plan on coming back one hour before high tide the next morning. may as well head to the west channel also, its the best route up the big su from the mouth. the east side of big island is very shallow and its so vast is hard to read the water properly. might save some time going over from ship creek but it might be a wash burning that fuel in your boat instead of the truck. its a good jaunt to the yetna from anchorage and depending on how far up you are going it might make you have to carry extra fuel which would make you burn even more fuel. good luck

Default Safe bet is the river

I have not crossed the inlet for many years, but when I used to do it regularly, you never knew what to expect until you were in it. Unless you are willing to stick to a timetable with the tides and possibly cross some really nasty water, I would stick to the river. On a good day I could cross in under 1 1/2 hours. On a bad day I have struggled for over 5 hours. If I were going to the Little Su or Alexander, I might think about saving some truck gas, but going to Lake Creek by way of the river takes alot of the tide, timing, and weather out of the mix. Usually boils it down to just a nice boat ride!

Default I would agree

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I have not crossed the inlet for many years, but when I used to do it regularly, you never knew what to expect until you were in it. Unless you are willing to stick to a timetable with the tides and possibly cross some really nasty water, I would stick to the river. On a good day I could cross in under 1 1/2 hours. On a bad day I have struggled for over 5 hours. If I were going to the Little Su or Alexander, I might think about saving some truck gas, but going to Lake Creek by way of the river takes alot of the tide, timing, and weather out of the mix. Usually boils it down to just a nice boat ride!
    It is only 18 miles from Deska landing to the mouth of the Yentna. Maybe a little shorter by way of Anchorage, but if you get in some bad stuff out there, your cost savings maybe more than you and your family are willing to pay.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default its

about 24 miles just to the west channel of the big su from the port of anchorage. then up to the yetna from there. i would take the deshka landing route, its a pretty sure thing from there and you can come back anytime you want. i personally wouldnt cross the inlet unless i planned on being over there for more than a day and the tides worked out for morning runs and the weather forcast was good. high winds out of turnagin forget about it.