Thread: 62-Pound King on Deshka

Arrow 62-Pound King on Deshka

A co-worker received a report from a friend who claimed to have caught a 62-pound king on the Deshka River last weekend. He's still waiting for visual confirmation either via photographic proof or a peek in the freezer.

I don't have a boat, so never fished the Deshka. However, pulling out fish that large seems to be a bit of a stretch for that river.

Just curious if there were any eyewitnesses...

Default just spoke to a resident on the deshka

My friend who has a cabin over there for the last 15 years said that he has seen some as big as 64 lbs caught, they are rare but they are there. I've personally only caught 25-35 lb ers on that river, which is typical.

Some of the biggest Kings I have caught on the deshka have been in late May. I would say the average size king on that river is in the 18-20 lb range.

I think most of the larger fish caught in May are destined for rivers up the sue where the average fish is bigger.

Default Here' the scoop

One of my best friends works at Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla. He personally spoke to this husband/wife couple. They said the were at the mouth of the Deshka, they didn't have a derby ticket so they didn't bother getting it weighed anywhere. I guess they weighed it in the boat and thats it. You would think they would of stopped at the gate to at least let them take a pic or something. Who knows, but that is what he told me last night on the phone.

Default 62#'r

I heard from the folks at the Wal-Mart sporting goods desk that it was actually a 26#'r caught by a dyslexic couple from Wasilla.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I heard from the folks at the Wal-Mart sporting goods desk that it was actually a 26#'r caught by a dyslexic couple from Wasilla.

Now that's funny stuff right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post

62 sounds like a bit much I agree...

Can't be mad though, they have some sort of an excuse is they are dyslexic! (Too funny)

Default 26/62

Love the dyslexic jibe

Default 62lb

I personally talked to the man and he caught it last thursday at the mouth. He said he took pictures and it measured 49in. He is an older man, say in the 60's from willow. He sounded sincere when he was talking to me and he was pretty excited to get back out on the water again. Next time i see him i'll ask if he will bring in the pictures.

A 49 in fish is going to be quite a bit less than 60 lbs. Last year I caught a 43 in fish that was estimated to be about 35 - 37lbs.

My 50 pounder was 48 inches; a buddy's 62 pounder was a fat 53" (if i'm remembering right). That'd be a pretty fat 49" king. Whether 62 pounds or 62 ounces...it's better'n I've done so far this year!

Edit...Neither of these were Deshka fish; I've never fished there.

Default it happens

My last king of the year two years ago was a 50 plus pounder I believe 54# but I can't remember for sure, it was weighed at the scale near the landing, it was a tasty fat hog caught at the mouth of the deshka during a huge run that had us getting hookups every cast for a couple hours. when we landed him he tore through our dip net size landing net like it was made of wet paper. The next biggest was only 30 or 35 lbs and the average was about 20 but there are big fish caught there every year.

yeah thats what i was thinking but this early in the run some of those kings can be really fat... so although maybe not most likely it is quite possible. Either way 49 in is pretty big.

My 54 inch Willow king was around 54 pounds.

My largest King ever was a 48 1/4 incher from the Little Su that was by far the fattest king I ever landed. It was 55 pounds.

I have a hard time seeing a 49 weigh in at 62 pounds but I could see it come close though.

I saw a 68 pound king pulled out of Willow creek once. It was around 57 inches long.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".