Thread: chitina sockeye size

Default chitina sockeye size

With all the talk of Copper River reds, we'll be doing our first dipping at Chitina July 6 this summer. I've heard that last year the reds there were bigger than normal, more like Kenai reds. What size do they usually run in Chitina? Also, I see on the ADFG page that it can take the fish up to two weeks to get from the sonar to where you can dip them. I would think most fish would be pretty blushed by that time; is this usually the case, or do you still get some chromers?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    With all the talk of Copper River reds, we'll be doing our first dipping at Chitina July 6 this summer. I've heard that last year the reds there were bigger than normal, more like Kenai reds. What size do they usually run in Chitina? Also, I see on the ADFG page that it can take the fish up to two weeks to get from the sonar to where you can dip them. I would think most fish would be pretty blushed by that time; is this usually the case, or do you still get some chromers?
    I went in early June last year and got the 30 limit plus a ten bonus for that year, and a king. All the kings I netted had lots of color, and the reds had green on the backs, so they were not like in the salt water, but the fillets looked great. I don't have any experience in July though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Bright fish

We are pretty picky on the fish we keep - any color or small, they are thrown back. Mid July we typically throw back about a third of the fish caught, but still do not have a problem limiting in usually less then 4 hours. Kings have color that time of year - last year we threw back the only one we netted, twice- the goofy fish swam right back into the net. Big but too colorful to keep.

Hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Default Miles Sonar

The fish consistantly run up the river from salt water througout the year...check the miles lake sonar, Most of your kings will be blush..but I have found their meat to still be good and tasty. The sockeye you will get a mix of fish some bright some not.

Just as Hiker, I went in the early part of June, I think it was the 10th last year and picked up my 30+10 in a few hours. Here is a pic just before the 2nd shift of work began.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Went in August last year

We went down in August, and had the whole river to ourselves. We only saw two other groups of dipnetters. The sockeye were large, many over 10 pounds. We had some that had started to blush, but the meat was still firm and the fillets were deep red. We even pulled in a couple silvers and kings. I was really surprised because the kings were in pretty good shape. I can't wait to get down there in a few weeks.

CubeCove