Thread: Lake Creek 21-25 Jun ?s

Default Lake Creek 21-25 Jun ?s

My wife and I are doing a 5 day fly out, float trip down Lake Creek the 3rd week of Jun. We are fairly new to fly fishing and have never fished there so we have lots of ?s.

Where is the best place to find a detailed map to help plan out camping spots? I want to maximize fishing time and still get to the Yenta on time for pickup.

We plan on taking 10 & 12 wt fly rods for Kings and 7 wt rods for trout and grayling (beads and flesh). What is the best flys and tackle for that time of year? I have both sinking tip lines and extra spools with just 40lb test for Kings.

Should we bring regular rods too in case the fly rods arenít working for us? Whatís the best gear to use with them? I want to have every base covered.

What kind of water conditions should we expect? Hopefully, we will hit the King run at the right time.

Thanks for the help and Iíd appreciate any other info anybody would like to share?

I use Google Earth http://earth.google.com/ a lot for new places. It will give you GPS numbers of spots. I print up 'sreen shots' and making a running list of GPS way points of interesting spots, creeks etc. I've done lake creek but later in the year for Silvers and Rainbows.
    Tony

Default fly ?s

I'm still looking for some advice on what flies to bring. I've fished for rainbows alot in the fall with flesh or egg patterns but not very much in Jun. Will the rainbows be hitting top water mouse flys or maybe even dry flies?
    If the timing is right what flies are best for the Kings, and what's the best way to fish them?
    Thanks,
    Travis

I floated Lake Creek about ten years ago in the Fall. Be prepared for lots of white water. As I recall, there were acouple of class IV rapids, and miles of Class II and III. If you're good on the oars you'll be fine but excercise caution. We had good Rainbow and Grayling fishing. Grayling on dry flies and Rainbows on the usual Alaska assortment including drys. I've done well with flesh flies at all times of the year. It's hard to go wrong with Sculpin imitations. I like them weighted and with strips of Rabbit fur tied Matuka style...big and ugly Fish them with a fast sink tip and strip retrieve. We also caught some nice Lake Trout in Chulatna (sp) Lake. Good luck!