Thread: Monk Advice

Default Monk Advice

My wife HATES boats. I want a boat. We found one that even she likes, a 1947 34' Monk. The current owner has done a lot of wood/galley/tile work inside and my wife really wants a quiet office like this (she's mental health type). So I have a foot in the owning a boat door. It looks similar to: http://picasaweb.google.com/arrroger...48369301944418

It has no motor. Originally a 120hp diesel center mount. Juneau area harbors require that a boat be able to "sail under its own power safely in the inland waterways" in order to keep a slip.

I am getting wild guesstimates on what it would cost to put an engine in it ($6K-$30K) and no promises on these prices. It is wood and has a wood back so I am not sure about outboards. I am by nature "frugal" and as much as I would like it to work again I don't want to drop a fortune into a boat that will never be worth that much and my wife almost prefer that it not move. Even if I had it repaired it would rarely go far.

So any advice? Has anyone here restored something like this? Is there any cheap engine options? Should we just pass on this boat? I know sailboats and my wife isn't even close to looking at a sailboat.

Default uhhh

Whew...where to begin?

Guess my recommendations would be;

1. Find new wife.
    2. Do not buy a boat that needs as much sweat equity/knowhow as this one.
    3. If you're frugal by nature, DO NOT buy any kind of boat.
    4. Invest in 2-3 charter trips a summer and save yourself all the headaches.

Seriously, sounds like you be best off renting a boat and captain. Luck either way.

The one thing that I want you to think about is. Who can replace a plank? There are not that many good old boys out there that can do the job right, and man is it not cheap! To replace 3 planks and three ribs it was well over $10,000 don't ask why they needed to be replaced, long story. As far as an engine goes. I would think the upper end of your numbers would be more like it. Unless you can weld, fit, wire, and install the whole engine. Because nothing is going to fit from the old motor mounts. Before I would buy the boat I would check every plank above and below the water line for rot. Sorry to rain on your parade. I would go with fiber glass or aluminum personally.
    I spent many a summer on an old wooden seiner that leaked every where.

Lightbulb Spend it somewhere else

For the amount of money you will spend on this, you can buy yourself a 80's or 90's fiberglass boat with everything working.

Next week I am picking up a 1986 30ft Sea Ray 300DB with twin inboards and I paid $11K for it. Pictures to come. Yeah, she needs a little work and we will need to be "Alaska fitted" but it won't be a quarter what you are going to spend here.

Then again, if you are into Classic boats as this and have the money to spend........

Good luck.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Monk

Check out the wiring estimates on the forum link
    Where to get wiring help?
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default hard sell

Thank you all for the advice.

Either it get to remain a "harbor queen" or we will just pass. If we buy it it will at least be on of the best looking harbor queens in Juneau and really is a nice office/live aboard/guest room. It might someday even get the engine.....

As for getting a new wife, she likes flying as much as she is afraid of boats.

Default wife

sounds like she'd have a heck of a time getting away from you/juneau! lol, luck either way you go!

Default Office

If an office is more of what you and your wife are really looking for? Dont you think a settlement on a beach will be cheaper in the long run. I know the price of land and Estates are hi, but when you really look into a boat you should see a black and big black hole in the water!!!

Default Office

Im just resiting and old but true tale. Boating is an expensive activity so i've heard (its a hole in the water). Just from my experiences which are'nt much, so true so far. Would save lots if i stopped that activity but then I would'nt be me!!! I think if you dont mind the expences and you are both happy with the boat then it is worth it. Right???

Default Monk

What the heck. If you buy it, it will be good for the local economy.

Beatiful boat!

But, wooden boat fixer upper projects typically cause alot of stress on finances, relationships and the majority of the restorations are failures. Be extremely honest with yourself as to what condition the boat is in, and what you expect out of the restoration. Be realistic with a budget.

Any boat that is in need of major restoration is typically no deal even if it were free. It costs less to build a new boat than undergo a major restoration.

If you are trying to save a historic craft, or have an emotional attachment that will drive you to say no matter the cost or time involved I will get it done.

Often times when finances and schedule comes to a push, people take a shorcut and do more harm than good to the boat.

If it's not what you really want, and a proper restoration isn't in the cards, just walk away, you'll be much happier in the end.

Default What Paul SAID

,RUN!! FLEE !! Save your bucks and just take the wife on a cruise.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Whew...where to begin?

Guess my recommendations would be;

1. Find new wife.

OMG Beer came out of my nose....HAHAHA
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c