Thread: Halibut in Juneau. Anyone?

Default Halibut in Juneau. Anyone?

I know it's still early in the season, but there are halibut and rockfish in the Juneau area in deep water, correct? I really really want to get out this weekend and hook something, but I don't want to be wasting my time. I was eyeing the finger that juts out from Bishop Point. I'm thinking if I troll while jumping lures across the bottom out from the shallower section towards the deeper side, I should have some luck. Any thoughts. I'm new to this so anything would help.

I'd say it would be worth a try, especially if your out there anyways hoping for a king. Never caught one there, but I saw a guy last year pull a 90 pounder off of Bishop last August. I'm sure you could jig some rockfish though. Dupont can be good too.

Default Scored at Rocky Isl though

Limited out with 3 people this being the big one for the day

87 lbs1.jpg

IB1Gator: Great, well wish me luck. What time of year did you get those?

Skookumchuck: Are you saying dupont is good for Halibut? I've only heard about people catching salmon there.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post

Skookumchuck: Are you saying dupont is good for Halibut? I've only heard about people catching salmon there.

I've heard through the grapevine that people catch butts there...I've only caught one teeeny chicken there....I suck at halibut fishing though. I've heard that around Doty Cove can be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine that people catch butts there...I've only caught one teeeny chicken there....I suck at halibut fishing though. I've heard that around Doty Cove can be good too.
    Having a hard time finding Doty Cove on the map. Where is it located in reference to Juneau?

It's pretty much across Stephens Passage from the Taku. South of Pt Arden.

Good deer hunting out there too!

Ok. Is there any truth to what time of day is best for sighing bottom fish? I've only fished on the East Coast and the beflief there is that the best fishing is first thing in the morning. I would think fish at 300' down could care less what time it is. Do tides come into play much?

What time of the year?? I caught that hawg this past Saturday 24 May 08!

slack tide is best b/c it's easier to keep your rig on the bottom. Same goes with small tide cycles. I don't think time of day matters much, but then again, I suck at halibut fishing....or rather, Juneau sucks for halibut fishing. Not sure which

At any rate, It sounds like your new to town, so I just want to give you a word of caution when heading south of town. Bishop/Taku can blow up really fast and get down right trecherous for small vessels. Pick your days wisely if your planning on crossing the inlet, and be sure to bring emergency supplies. Also be mindful of the gillnet fishery out there, as it starts up in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by IB1Gator View Post
    What time of the year?? I caught that hawg this past Saturday 24 May 08!
    Nice, and that was off Bishop pt? I am dying to get some fish in my freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    slack tide is best b/c it's easier to keep your rig on the bottom. Same goes with small tide cycles. I don't think time of day matters much, but then again, I suck at halibut fishing....or rather, Juneau sucks for halibut fishing. Not sure which

At any rate, It sounds like your new to town, so I just want to give you a word of caution when heading south of town. Bishop/Taku can blow up really fast and get down right trecherous for small vessels. Pick your days wisely if your planning on crossing the inlet, and be sure to bring emergency supplies. Also be mindful of the gillnet fishery out there, as it starts up in a couple weeks.
    I've experienced that first hand. I went out on the 47' Lifeboat. It was dead calm until you entered Taku, then it jumped up to 10 footers with 30kt winds. I've never seen something like that before. That's why I was eyeing Bishop Point. Should provide some descent wind protection and allow an easy escape back into Gastineau if needed.

You'll still get hammered at Bishop if Taku is nasty...

I know it's still early in the season, but there are halibut and rockfish in the Juneau area in deep water, correct? I really really want to get out this weekend and hook something, but I don't want to be wasting my time. I was eyeing the finger that juts out from Bishop Point. I'm thinking if I troll while jumping lures across the bottom out from the shallower section towards the deeper side, I should have some luck. Any thoughts. I'm new to this so anything would help.
    Might not help on the weekend, but I've got a few lightly loaded halibut charters coming up next week... I don't ever "do business" in the forums, but if a guy were looking to get out into Icy Strait or elsewhere to fish halibut, I would think a PM might be just the ticket to see if there were a few charters available on the cheap! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]