Thread: Spray on Moose

Smile Spray on Moose

Just to stir things up some more, I was wondering if anyone has heard if Bearspray works on moose. Seems like I run into moose that can be edgy more than bears, especially here in Anchorage on the trails. People harrass the poor moose to death and then they react negatively to all humans trying to share the trail. In a perfect world we would all just back up and find a different route. This is especially true when they get their hackles up and are coming at you. however Momma Moose sometimes don't give people time to back up, and although I don't have any numbers to back this up, I'd say there are far more injuries and maybe deaths from moose "attacks" than bears. Does anyone know of any studies on this.

Now before anyone takes the opportunity to say I'm a gun control advocate or that I want to hunt moose with bear spray---- stand down, this is not that kind of post....

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've used it on dogs and people with execelent results.

Default Great question

I've also heard that moose cause more injuries in this state than bears, although I can't recall the source.
    I've never heard of an instance where spray was used on a moose. It would definitely be interesting to learn of its effectiveness in the kind of situation you describe.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've not noticed that Moose are harrassed, but anything is possible, depending on how that is defined.

I wonder where the idea that they cause more injuries comes from.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default moose

I see kids throwing rocks at them, etc.... that's what I mean by harrassed, as far as injuries I think that there are a ton of incidents involving run ins with moose as they are more abundant and are not shy in city environments. Hence more injuries, stomps, etc... but I have no way of proving it, just my thoughts, and wondering if anyone thought that pepper spray would work on them. they got big noses, so if the effect is the same on them as bears should work.

It prettty much works on any critters. Here's a few stories including a moose story.

http://www.udap.com/othertestimonials.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    I see kids throwing rocks at them, etc.... that's what I mean by harrassed, as far as injuries I think that there are a ton of incidents involving run ins with moose as they are more abundant and are not shy in city environments. Hence more injuries, stomps, etc... but I have no way of proving it, just my thoughts, and wondering if anyone thought that pepper spray would work on them. they got big noses, so if the effect is the same on them as bears should work.
    Come to think of it, there are sure a lot of vehicle accidents involving moose, and that might be the source of the injuries. They can be very serious.

If moose make me uncomfortable, I see no harm in running them off, with rocks or whatever, and most times they will go away.

I was cutting trees one spring with a chain saw, and a cow moose was eating the tops. I went to clear the limbs on the tree she was eating, and I couldn't scare her off, so I just went to another tree, and did it after she left.

I dunno if I'd want to run up close enough to spray a moose, if it wasn't inclined to leave.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

just to answer your question it does work and work well. i had an incedent in 1990 where i was on my way to my truck being early in the morning and new to alaska was not looking out for anything, i got charged by a momma moose, luckily i had a truck that was high enough that i easily went under. moose was still trying to get to me as i was trapped under my truck, truck was taking a beating. i sprayed the moose with pepper spray that was on my keychain..... all hell broke loose. the moose was on its side twirling and rubbing its head in the snow about 5 foot from where i was hiding under the truck. my heart was in my throat, thinking all i did was piss this thing off and me and my truck were at an end. after about 30 sec. of this moose doing circles on its side, it snorted blowing liquid out of its moose and mouth, got up put her head down and charged..... right into a semi large tree in the front yard head first. the moose went down hard and i took this time to make a break for the house. when i was inside and looked through the upstairs window the moose was in the same place... i called APD who told me to call fish and game which i did.when they arrived a half hour later the moose was sitting up under the tree with the calf munching nearby. after watching the moose for 3 hours, both of them slowly strolled down the street. and the officer came upto my door and gave me a stern lecture about moose and there harassment. i explained what happened and showed him the damage to my truck, he did not write me a ticket but after telling him the story and showing him the tracks in the snow with the hair and hoofprints all over the place. he laughed and left telling me how lucky i was not to have been killed............yes pepperspray works but it is very dangerous and i would strongly recommend to keep you eyes open and pay attention, give all the animals a wide birth. jeff

Default good story

wow, that's funny stuff. weird what separates funny from tragic, glad you made it out ok, and good to hear the stuff works well on ungulates. I think you are right a wide berth is the way to go.

I have used bearspray on moose a couple of times and it works very well.

akfun:
    It bugs me that a cop would presume to lecture someone, instead of paying attention, and doing his job right the first time, but I suppose it's better than getting a ticket.

It may be fortunate that the bear spray worked on the moose, since apparently, it doesn't always work, on bears.

Here are quotes from Craig Medreds article in the Outdoors section of the Anchorage Daily Worker. This happened in Denali National Park.

"On it's final approach the black bear aggressively charged the three researchers, hissing and pouncing at the ground. An attempt to divert the bear with pepper spray was ineffective"

"As has been observed elsewhere, bear spray will repel some of the bears all of the time, and all of the bears some of the time. But it won't repel all of the bears, all of the time, which is why it was a good thing the Park Service botanists had a gun."

I note, they don't allow others to have a gun in the Park.

The article was really about black bears, that consider humans to be prey.

Vewwy Skewwey.

Last week in another article, Craig indicated that black bears weren't very dangerous. I'm glad he wised up, in only a weeks time. Maybe this will make people more cautious with black bears, and also, not put so much faith in bear spray.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Talking

Smitty, semd me your mailing address and I'll sen you a can of UDAP for Christmas :)