Thread: Watson Lake 'bows...

Thumbs down Watson Lake 'bows...

This is a mixed report...good and bad.

Spent last Saturday (in the rain) trolling bead-head prince nymphs behind my canoe. Although the fish were a bit on the small size (8-10 inches), my buddy and I probably hooked and released in upwards of 50 fish! (Good!)

We also canoed into Imeri and Afonasi Lakes. Afonasi Lake (north end) seemed to produce fish on every cast along the shore line, but they were no larger than 4-6 inches. I was very surprised to see nothing bigger than 6". (Not so good!)

By the end of summer, when the fish are a little bigger and well fed, this would be a superb place to bring a kid looking to catch his/her first fish!

Glad it worked out for you. I was catching the bigger fish on 0 and 1 mepps the weekend i was down there. So tell me. Did you camp back at Afonsi???? If so was the spot there still I was telling you about. Good to hear you caught fish on a method i had not used there before and now I have something else to fish with when im there. I know in a few more weeks the lilly pads get so thing you cant hardly cast back there. Thanks for the info and for sharing.

One other thing. Alot of the bigger bows are on the spawn right now and are a bit 'tired" from thier fun im sure. If you can get back there before the lily pads get to thick it could be better.
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-28-2008 at 17:14. Reason: more stuff
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default There is a picture

Of a nice one around 14 incher that i caught there the weekend I was down there on the 2008 alaska fishing pics thread

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. I was catching the bigger fish on 0 and 1 mepps the weekend i was down there. So tell me. Did you camp back at Afonsi???? If so was the spot there still I was telling you about. Good to hear you caught fish on a method i had not used there before and now I have something else to fish with when im there. I know in a few more weeks the lilly pads get so thing you cant hardly cast back there. Thanks for the info and for sharing.

One other thing. Alot of the bigger bows are on the spawn right now and are a bit 'tired" from thier fun im sure. If you can get back there before the lily pads get to thick it could be better.

That's kinda what we figured too...spawning must have been in full swing! (It just seemed odd to us that the largest fish caught was only 8+ inches!)

The lilly pads were starting to crop-up through the water, but not yet fully bloomed. We managed to paddle with ease on all lakes...but can see how it might slow things down in the middle of summer!

The one good camp spot on Afonasi Lake was located on the north end of the lake...right at the bottom of a small hill/bluff with a clearing for a couple of tents. Unfortunately, someone had already snagged that spot, so we decided to just paddle the lake and fish for the day before heading back.

When summer temps warm up a bit, you better beleive we'll be going back to Watson & Afonasi...they were extremely beautiful lakes! Although it is relatively close to the highway, it feels very remote! This might very well be the perfect weekend camping/fishing spot on the Peninsula!!!!!

Where are these two lakes located?

Watson is located about 15 miles north of sterling. You enter watson lake and paddle accross it to a water trail to a 2nd lake. Paddle accross the 2nd to another water trail and it leads you to the 3rd lake called afonsi. It is on the Topo maps and very easy to see. I have been fishing them since 79 and was just out at my moms monday looking at pictures of me there then holding some nice bows.

P.S. It is right on the highway too
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-29-2008 at 06:56. Reason: more info