Thread: Kandik River Memorial/Adventure Trip

Default Kandik River Memorial/Adventure Trip

Hello all! My name is Gary and as you could guess I am new to this board.

I am in the infant stages of planning my first trip to Alaska. I would like to float the Yukon from Eagle to Circle with a special stop on the Kandik. This past Thanksgiving I lost my dearest friend and I would like to take this trip to honor him. My friend was an Alaskan Malamute named Kandik's Bootlegger, better known to those who loved him as Rascal. He was just over 7 years old when he succumbed to gastric torsion (aka Canine Bloat). No words could ever describe the value of this dog, so I won't try here.

My initial plans are to drive from my home in SW Ohio to Eagle. I currently own a 19' Grumman aluminum canoe in excellent condition. I estimate I am about 3-5 years away from my departure date, so I am acquiring gear and provisions as I write this thread. From Eagle I would like to float the Yukon sometime from July 10 to August 10. I would love to travel up the Kandik, to where exactly I've not yet decided, and there I would like to spread Rascal's ashes. After that I would love to return to the Yukon and float to Circle, where I would like to return home.

I have always had a dream to travel to Alaska, and I think this is a great personal motivation to stop dreaming, and set off. I have many questions as you might imagine, but I will start with my return from circle. Is it a viable option to canoe upstream back to Eagle, or do you think the average 7 knot current and 170 mile distance prove too much for a somewhat skilled canoer? I had planned on chartering a flight back from Circle, but could I manage transport for the canoe? I'm not at all familiar with air taxi operations.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am very much in the beginning stages of thought for this trip and have in no way considered all possible needs and situations.

Hi Gary,

I live out here on the river your dog was named after. Sorry to hear of your loss. We've lost a couple big sled dogs to twisted gut.

Best bet if you are bringing the grumman would be to put a 10-15horse outboard on it. Used that setup for years to get around and you can go up the Yukon back to Eagle no problem with it. Alternatively, you could just line and pole the grumman upstream back to Eagle, but would take you a week.

You can also use the grumman to get up the Kandik, but likely you'd have to line all of the riffles that time of year. You could still motor the pools if you had outboard on the grumman.

I'm sure the Department of the Interior has some kind of regulation governing the scattering of canine ashes, so be sure to
    contact National Park Service for form 903(b), which after taking the time to fill out will invariably be denied <grin>.

Way things are going these days, you may consider revising the time-frame of your visit to where you can still afford to drive up here! Seriously though, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
    Best,

Default flot trip

If no outboard it will take a long time to line a canoe up any river, an you are looking at 170 miles of lining, as far as taking the canoe back to Eagle by aircraft ,contack the local air service at eagle or Circle see what they say,
    {COST} or if the canoe is a 19 FT squair back, sell it at Eagle an get a new one when back Home an fly your & gear back to Eagle, just put the canoe for sale on this Forum [for sale part] it will go fast , or BUY the replacement canoe frist , you got 2 or more years to shop around .
    SID

Talking Thanks....and more to come

Thanks Mark and Sid for your replies. Unfortunately the Grumman I have is not a square stern so I am a little concerned about weight with the motor and side mount when it comes to considering lining up the Kandik's riffles. Do you think this would present much of a problem?

Thanks for bringing up the DOI regs as that was one consideration I would have never thought of. I guess I'll manage that..one way or the other

Sid I think you bring up a great point about the cost for flying the canoe back from Circle. The more I think about it, the more inviting a small motor sounds so I can handle my own return to Eagle. I couldn't imagine what some bush pilot would try to rake a Buckeye like me for!

I am positive I will have many more questions covering various specifics. I look forward to fielding them here. Mark, I will be taking you up on your offer to PM. Pretty hard to find knowledge of that area in my parts!

No joke about the gas prices! I'm still pretty much convinced that I want to drive it though! Glutton for punsihment!