Thread: My first Grayling =)

Default My first Grayling =)

We made a trip up to Bonnie Lake Friday/Saturday to attempt to catch Grayling. Two of us had never caught them. Also, I am just learning how to fly fish this year so needless to say I was very excited to pull in my first Grayling on a dry fly! I had come equipped with my Penn rod cause I didn't think I would be able to fly fish the little stream, but I surprised myself! They were all small, but I didn't care =)

And of course he had to show me up by catching a much nicer fish haha

Congratulations! Even with all of the larger and harder fighting fish in our state, there are still few things I enjoy more than catching a grayling on a fly.

Enjoy eating them, but since they're your first, it's worth noting that grayling do not freeze well at all. They're good fresh, but not worth keeping in the freezer.

So I have heard, which is why we cooked them up the very same day. VERY enjoyable! It was the first Grayling I've ever caught, and it was also the first fish I've ever landed on a fly rod. I may have been haggard, tired and hungover but I was HAPPY.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    So I have heard, which is why we cooked them up the very same day. VERY enjoyable! It was the first Grayling I've ever caught, and it was also the first fish I've ever landed on a fly rod. I may have been haggard, tired and hungover but I was HAPPY.

Now go hook into a #45 king with a palm drag reel and HANG ON! That is just plain FUN as long as you can keep your fingers from getting whacked by the reel handle. Congrats on the grayling!

Congrats!

How'd you prepare the fish? Looks like gutted, heads removed, then you sliced the bodies cross-wise every couple of inches? I haven't tried the cross-wise slicing thing.....

bd

Yeah, they were way too small to try and filet. It turned out really good, we were camping so nothing too fancy, but the slits helped get some of the garlic butter into the meat. And I can see why it wouldn't freeze well...it was very fragile meat, but it was great for us because it slid off the bones just perfect.

I don't know about a king on that fly rod! I am excited to catch something bigger but I am still very new to fly fishing.

Question

You can camp there? I was there a few years ago and camping was not allowed even though my roadside angler book said it was okay. We got there and there was no camping signs posted. I was planning a day trip there this year but would love to camp at the lake.

congrats on first fish but check page 34 of the regs.

We didn't camp at Bonnie Lake, you can't camp there. And we had 3 people, 6 fish =)

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    congrats on first fish but check page 34 of the regs.
    I was going to mention it, but you beat me to it. It has been that way for a long time. The Grayling like to spawn in the creek, hence the regulation. They used to have signs at the trailhead, but someone used them for firewood.

Nice fish. Grayling taste good fresh.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

where is Bonnie Lake exactally? I'm in the same boat as you WERE. I've caught every salmon and trout sub-species on a fly rod except a grayling. I NEED to fulfill this void!!!

Mile 83.3 on the Glenn Highway. The closest town is Chickaloon. I would recommend going to Canoe Lake though. Make sure you bring a boat shore fishing sucks there.

Don't anyone else try this, the ditch creek between the lakes is closed during the spring spawn. Could be some very expensive eating, if you get caught.