Thread: Is anyone killing Black bears off baits in the Interior??

Default Is anyone killing Black bears off baits in the Interior??

It sure seems like a slow start on bear baiting season here in the interior. We usually have some pretty good pics of dead blacks off baits by now and it seems like theres way more bickering than killing going on, not to mention some good pics of grizzlys on black bear baits. I am headed out to check mine for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks since setting it up, tonight. Whats the scoop folks?

I haven't had any hits on my bait off the Elliott yet. I have a few friends baiting up there as well and they haven't hits yet either. Maybe this weekend.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default yes

killed one off the elliot last saturda

Cub- I'm near Cantwell and have learned over enough years where I USUALLY don't even put bait out untill the 18th do to the snow on the ground and that looking over my journal that I have never been hit before the 26th in the last 15 years. This year with the late spring and the high snow amount for the area I didn't set the bait until last monday(26th) and there was a set of sow and cub tracks a few hundred feet away from the stand when I went in. The area also looks to be about a week behind usuall with the snow STILL on the ground and the river running high and muddy. I would think by this weekend there should be plenty of action everywhere. Hopefully my daughter will be part of if as I took off a few days to our "father and daughter" hunt. Good luck to all on the moose munchers!!!

Yeah its been kind of a weird spring thats for sure, we had several pics of different bears by this time last year and had already killed 2. Guess we'll see what it looks like when I get up there tonight.

I got mine on the 25th near Delta Junction. Still have a couple others bears working the bait.

I was lucky enough to get one on the 22nd

I've seen quite a few black bears while looking for a brown bear, a couple that were pretty good sized too. They are definetly moving here in SC.

Default Not hit yet

I am baiting in 20B along with 250+ others. Not hit as of 26th. Bait has been out since 17th so not real concerned yet. Put some good smell out on Monday and hope to check it sat in a.m. We got hit last year on 29 may was first bear but it was a griz, first black didn't hit until 6 june so still some time yet. It's kinda good to here not to many in interior yet I thought i was behind. Good huntin to all.

LKN4ELK

Default having them hit

but nothing consistent like normal. I expect things to happen QUICK here. Like tonight and tomorrow, and Friday!

Thumbs up 1 out of 2

Running two baits off the Elliott. Mine hasn't been touched, but my son's is getting slammed! 50 lbs of dog food every three days......... (Which is fine with me... I would rather he get another one instead of me anyway) Have another 4 day weekend this week end, so will see if we cant catch em at the barrel then. 15 May is the earliest a bear has been harvested on either of these two stands, and that was last year. Good luck to all!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Its been slow and definitly not normal but shot mine on may 9th up there in 12.

If ya can't bait, illegal here, might as well bicker!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Not here

I shot my blackie last year on this date. I have not had a blackie hit yet this year. I am heading to the stand in a couple hours. We will see if anything has shown up in the last three days. It is getting expensive quickly spending $75.00 a trip in gas to the bait stand to feed a stupid grizz, squirrels, and rabbits.

My Taxidermist said he got in about 20 bears over memorial weekend,and I know eight of them have been sealed and six where cinnamons.Oh! and one of my co-workers friend nailed one where everyone else is at also.So there out there.

As for myself Im baiting up on the Yukon River and just got my junk out last weekend.Cant wait to get up there tomorrow night and check out the trail cam pic's.Daniel

Default Blessed

Well, I feel for ya AF. $75 a pop for gas! Ouch. It helps me to remember that when I finish the 40 minute pack into mine- straight out of the front door, all via mare's shank. $0 gas, and a great conditioning plan, to boot! For the record, I'm in Willow, got one Saturday night, and a friend of mine got one Wednesday on the lower Susitna. So they're moving down here. Just a matter of time! Keep lots of scent out there- the boars oughta start hunting nookie any day now.