Thread: Kenai pictures from this past weekend...

Default Kenai pictures from this past weekend...

My wife and I spent 4 days on the Kenai and got back to the east coast today. Just thought I would share some images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7605295387576/

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hey Dan, looks like you got some great shots AND had great weather! What was your favorite spot??
    EricL

Talking

Dan

Fantastic pix!!! Do you do this for a living???? You should.

TL

Default Favorite spot?

"What was your favorite spot?"

I was impressed with Ninilchik and Clam Gulch. I wish we would have had more time to explore those areas. We tried to get down to the bluffs in Clam Gulch, but trying to honor no trespassing signs, found it difficult. I feel like I missed something there. I would like to explore that further next time. Wish we would have taken Skilak Loop Rd. Our rental car (small SUV) had no 4 wd and I went a mile or two and had to turn back. There was a big sign by the Avis rental booth at the airport that said "No dirt road driving... will void loss policy...". I figured it would be just my luck to get stuck, etc.. so we did not push our luck. I need to rent a real SUV/truck next time (from someone other than Avis). Also wish I had stopped and photographed some of the water bogs (Kenai River overflow areas) along the south side of the road just past Cooper Landing (heading to Sterling). In the mid-morning light, there was some really interesting reflections, stumps, with bright green grass. With some luck, perhaps a moose would find its way into the scene. That looked to hold great potential for an ultrawide lens. We just did not have time to stop at many of them. Also, did not want to get ran over. Traffic (boat trailers and RV's) was heavy in that area with little room on the side of the road to park. I had more than a few horns honked at me as it was. But that is the way it goes. Hindsight is 20/20. To be honest, I feel like a tard for asking "where to shoot on the Kenai" in an older post. Better question would have been "where not to shoot". Beauty abounds. Just need more time (and memory cards).

Tightlines, thanks for the kind words. I would love some criticism/comments. Just getting into photography in the last 5 months and would love to improve. Anyone see anything that could be better, let me know.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan, some very nice shots. Hope you had a great trip,

SH

awesome pics Dan!

Dan,

Absolutely great shots! Thanks for sharing!
    I was watching your other thread, since I will be making the same trip in less than four weeks!
    Although I will be one of 'those RV's'...

Can I ask what telephoto lens you used? I am in the market for mine before the trip.

Again, thanks for sharing your awesome work!
    Doc

Oh man Dan, you had a great trip! Glad to see it. Cant think of anything I would have done differently as far as the photography goes ...well, maybe plan for a longer stay.

You done good buddy!

Love the goat shot. I have not had any luck getting close to these animals in the two year I have been up here. Well done!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Outstanding photography Dan, you did a great job of capturing the spirit of the Kenai!
    www.naturereflected.com My Photo Gallery
    www.redhawksquest.com My Nature Journal

Default Thanks..

Thanks for all the kind remarks. I also appreciate the help that some of you gave me prior to my trip. We had a wonderful time and look forward to our float trip on the Wulik in Sept. This last trip was a bit touristy in spots. But the day cruise on the "Captains Choice" Kenai Fjords Tours boat was great. We will do that again.

Doc,

As for lenses. I had a Canon 40D with 10-22, 24-105, and 100-400. The 100-400 was the perfect lens for wildlife. I used the 24-105 with Hoya Pro 1 dmc CP for most of the landscapes. Only utilized the 10-22 on a few occasions.

Dan

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

outstanding many thanks for sharing

That picture of the puffin flying over the glowing water is just brilliant