Thread: Do bears eat bait stands?

Default Do bears eat bait stands?

Who remembers this post?

A while back there was a huge discussion on this topic. The real issue was some dude staking his claim on public poperty. Then he would tear down other hunters stands and lay spike strips to flatten 4-wheeler tires.

Anyway, it was my 4-wheeler that got the 3 flattened tires. Oh yeah, its been since March 2007, but we had our day in court. Tomorrow, I will cash in the $375.10 restitution check and buy myself some REALLY cool tires for my Grizzly. Thanks Bob.

Mods, don't delete this thread. I did everything according to the law and I think all hunters should know that the "system" is slow, but it works.

March 2007, I went and did some bear scouting with two other buddies on 4-wheelers. We drove three 4-wheelers around for 6 to 8 hours. Every trail we drove on were on the map that we had. We settled on two locations and built stands there. That next week we went to ADF&G and registered the stands. I went out alone the next weekend with my son (10 years old) to put up the signs and place the bait barrels.

Amazing...I got 3 flat tires before I made it to the first stand! Something wasn't right, but with a 10 year old, I just left the area. I went back in later with a buddy and found the spike strip and a sign that said stay out with this dude's name and phone #.

We took pictures and reported it to the Troopers. The troopers went in and checked out our story and removed the strip. The troopers called this guy and he admitted to the spike strip. He wanted to keep hunters out, because it was "his" area and he had a stand about 8 miles farther down the trail. There's more drama to the whole story, but those are the facts that I know.

I don't know why the court system was so slow, but for the troopers it was an open and close case.

The moral to the story... If you are right and someone does you wrong, go to the Troopers. Then pursue the court system with a fury. Don't take my word for it go here and see for yourself:
    http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/p...t_sum?56906425

One last note... I doubt I ever shoot a bear from any of my stand sittings. It's one of the few ways a youngster can get started in the woods safely.

Enjoy your season!

Congratulations on pursuing that one to the end! I love it when the system works and karma catches up to jerks.

I love it!! Congrats

Thumbs up Slow and Steady

Slow and steady wins the race.

I remember the thread.
    I'm glad you held on for the long haul.

Congratulations on your victory!

Wink Right On!

I remember the thread, and I believe I posted on it also. I too had a run in with someone early this year, and they built they're stand first week of May 100 yards from mine after I had posted everything the first week of April. Fortunately enough through letter leaving hung on stands, and a phone call we both realized we were both just a couple good O'l boys out to enjoy the outdoors with our kids, and I would go as far to say that I would actually go hunting with the guy sometime. Just a small miss understanding that a couple letters and a phone call resoved, and he gladly moved to another area! Wish your situation was as simple. I know I lay no legal claim to any area on public land, but I originally questioned his ethics for building so close, but after speaking with the guy, it was NBD! We both are better men for it now......... I just hope all in similiar situations have as much a pleasant experience as I did, unfortunately though, that is not always the case........ good luck to all this upcoming season!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Default Tried the mediator thing

You know the Trooper offered to mediate a deal between us. I agreed to settle for new tires and move out of his area. He had it first, but his stand was 8 miles away and he did flatten my tires.

Then the dude replaced the spike strips after the Troopers removed them. This time he put them closer to the road (Elliot Hwy), but told the Troopers the strips were much farther down the trail. When the Trooper went in to take out those strips he found the set close to the Elliot.

Now the Trooper didn't want me to make any deals and preferred for me to file a formal complaint. I did and now the rest is history.

Good luck fellas!

Sounded like a real jerk. Eight miles away?? I am surprised he was not pissed that there were people hunting bears in the same state!
    I wish he would have lost his hunting privileges over this stunt but if I read it right, he got probation.

I've heard of similar events happening to a friend in that neck of the woods a few years back. His particular circumstance involved moose hunters. He came across posted land on public property. Apparently some other person(s) weren't too pleased with him entering and hunting in "his(or their)" territory. My friend ended up with all four of his tires slashed back at the highway while he was still in th field.

I hope this judge sent a message to those who believe they can try to lay claim to public land for their own selfish reasons.

Congratz on gettin your cash back, some people just have a messed up a sense of things =/

He got off easy. What he did put you and your son in danger.
    He should have went to jail.

The majority of this state is remote. When someone vandalizes our equipment I believe they could be held criminally responsible for injury or death (exposure etc.) that results from their stupidity.
    We should all keep an eye out for other peoples equipment as well as our own, I do. If I see something suspicious I call the troopers. If nothings wrong, no harm done.

Just my .02.

Default to light of penalty

Paying for a set of tires is not a penalty. This guy should have done some jail time for what was attempted murder. Had you or your child been thrown off your wheeler and killed due to this indigent putting spike strips down, then it would of been murder. It is way to easy to smash your head on a rock and be killed from a wheeler. This guy does not need to be in society. He got off way too easy!