Thread: Lowa vs Kenetrek

Default Lowa vs Kenetrek

Well I was dead set on the Lowa sheep hunters butttt... I looked at them multiple times and I was not that impressed with the fit and finish for a $300+ pair of boots. I am not saying that they werent solid built but of the three or 4 pairs I checked out the rubber protective wrap that is just above the sole had visible glue at the seam which does not mate very well at the back of the heel. Enter the kenetrek, they are just very cleanly put together and "finished". I havn't put any mileage on either the lowa's or Kenetrek mountains but they are comperable in feel. They both have great ankle support and are extremely comfortable. I liked the uninsulated lowas but I don't think that 400 grams in the Kene's will be uncomfortable especially because I prefer to wear thinner socks and my hunt is in September. Well I went with the Kene's and I am planning on heading up the mountain with them on Friday so we will see if the $265 spent was worth it!
    I also bought a set of Vasque GTX mid height boots for the wife they are the most comfortable we have found for her so far since she broke her ankle in 2005. The seem to have very good ankle support without weird preasure points.

Default kene's vs lowa

hey man, could ya let me know what you think about dem der Kenetreks???? I, too am in the market and lookin at the Lowa's or Kenetreks or Cabelas (but I prefer to try them on first). Hopefully some of these boot owners will give their advice here.

Thanks

Where did you buy the Kenetrek 400's for $265? I just ordered a pair of the Lowa GTX Sheep Hunters for $299 (with free shipping) and I am having a little buyers remorse. No one sells either of the Kenetrek or Lowa's in my neck of the woods so I am having to buy sight unseen.

LuJon,

I have been eye balling the KENETREK MOUNTAIN EXTREME 400 for sometime. Were did you buy the K for 265.00. Give us a report.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    LuJon,

I have been eye balling the KENETREK MOUNTAIN EXTREME 400 for sometime. Were did you buy the K for 265.00. Give us a report.

Lou
    I picked them up at sportsmans with a 10% off coupon that I got from the boy scouts but they are normaly $295. I should have at least a preliminary field report Saturday. I am planning on ordering the "Montana Pitch Blend" waterproofing that is recommended on the Kenetrek website

I just ordered some size 15 Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's. They are experimenting with offering a larger size these are the only pair they have made. I'll be giving them feedback and hopefully they'll start making more for all the bigfoots out there.

I don't envy you! I am 6'5" ~250lbs and a perfect size 12! Just enough foot to balance myself without having to have custom boots made!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Spencer View Post
    I just ordered a pair of the Lowa GTX Sheep Hunters for $299 (with free shipping) and I am having a little buyers remorse.
    Don't second guess your decision, Scott. I've had my Lowas for 4 or 5 years now. I beat the heck out of them and have had between 100-150 pounds on my back many times, and I can say without doubt that these are the finest boots I've ever owned. As long as they end up fitting you well, you made a great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I picked them up at sportsmans with a 10% off coupon that I got from the boy scouts but they are normaly $295. I should have at least a preliminary field report Saturday. I am planning on ordering the "Montana Pitch Blend" waterproofing that is recommended on the Kenetrek website
    LuJon,

DON'T use Montana Pitch Blend on the Kenetrek Mountain boots. Pitch Blend is only recommended for the leather uppers on their pac boots. It contains mink oil which can over soften the leather of the mountain boots. Use either Nikwax paste or aqueous wax. The paste will darken the leather slightly, but it tends to do a better job of waterproofing than the aqueous wax does.

As far as opinions on Lowa vs. Kenetrek I've said it before and I'll say it again; I thought that the Lowas were the cat's meow until I started wearing Kenetrek. There's nothing wrong with Lowas, I just honestly feel the Kenetreks are a superior boot.

Jeff

Default Kenetrek

Anybody know the name and contact info of the Kenetrek guy that was at the Sportsman's Show in Anchorage? We shoulda bought the boots right then; can't find 'em in my wife's size now. And unfortunately, we can't remember what size she needed; it was quite a bit different than her normal shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Anybody know the name and contact info of the Kenetrek guy that was at the Sportsman's Show in Anchorage? We shoulda bought the boots right then; can't find 'em in my wife's size now. And unfortunately, we can't remember what size she needed; it was quite a bit different than her normal shoes.
    I believe that was Jim Winjum's (owner of Kenetrek) brother Joe, but don't quote me on that. I bet if you contact Jim he can help you out or get you in touch with Joe. If your wife was trying on one of the men's styles she was probably sized 1.5-2 sizes smaller than she normally wears in women's sizes. Kenetrek just started making a women's sized Mountain Extreme boot to try and address that problem. Here's the link with their contact info. I'm sure Jim can get you straightened out.

http://www.kenetrek.com/custserve.asp

Jeff

It was the Women's Mountain Extreme 400. We're just not sure of the size. I guess we'll call and find out if we order the size we think it is, whether we can exchange it if it's wrong.

Very nice boots--I want some for myself too, but at $300+, might have to make do with what I have for a little longer.

Well I put about 10 miles on the Kene's today. I stood in a glacial stream about 6"-7" deep for 15 minutes without getting wet. They are not magic boots so when I waded through another stream that was knee deep they filled with water.
    I proceeded to walk the aformentioned 10 miles in soaking wet boots. They warmed up quickly after each water crossing and the best thing is NO BLISTERS! Today was all flat riverbottom hiking but I can't wait to get them up in the mountains. We did cross an area where the terain consisted of fist sized rocks and the boots were very stable. The odd shaped rock normally like to roll under your shoe causing you to strain your ankle. The Kene's allowed me to just keep trudging along, regardless of how I stepped on the rocks the boots provided enough support that my ankles never rolled. So far they are great and I can't wait to see how they perform in the high country!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chano View Post
    I just ordered some size 15 Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's. They are experimenting with offering a larger size these are the only pair they have made. I'll be giving them feedback and hopefully they'll start making more for all the bigfoots out there.
    Size 15... I'll bet you have no need for snowshoes!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    Size 15... I'll bet you have no need for snowshoes!
    Not If I follow the caribou herd... I got my boots in the other day they fit great no time to hike now gotta raft while the rivers are running...so much to do so little time aren't summers sweet