Thread: Finally managed...

Default Finally managed...

to get the .204 Ruger and .500 S&W Mag barrels mounted and bore sighted, on the 1871 Buffalo Classic .45-70 rifle I'd picked up awhile back. Fit and finish make the rifle look new again, and the stubby .500 barrel actually looks pretty cool with the longish forend.
    The .204 I shot first, and the first thing I noticed was an absolute lack of recoil. None. I've got a 69A Winchester .22 LR that 'kicks' more than this gun does! Amazing to watch things disappear in the scope.
    Put the .500 barrel on, and loaded it with the 500 gr. Hornady's loaded with about 30 gr. of H110. Recoil was brisk, about on a par with the 350 Hornady's in the .45-70 I'd been shooting on this rifle with it's 32 inch barrel. It COULD get unpleasant after awhile with the curved steel buttplate and the warmish 325 gr. Hornady's, though it's not as uncomfortable as some other big-bore vintage levers I've shot in the past.
    Can't speak to accuracy, other than they'll stay on pop cans a ways out, it was giving us a typical spring 'frog choker', with attendant 30 kt. winds...accuracy over the bags at established range to come.
    First impressions are that these are truly bargains! $86 out the door for the .500 barrel, $116 got the fluted .204 heavy at 24". I'm thinking next up will be a couple of .45 Colt barrels with the intention of turning one of them into a .460!
    Nothing earth shattering, just had some fun and wanted to share.....

Darreld,

How long did it take to get the barrels? Did you have to send the guns in to have them fitted? I think single shots with interchangeable barrels are a lot of fun because you can fiddle around with different calibers for a lot less than a bolt action. Glad to hear this is working out for you, and the price of the barrels is certainly reasonable.

Default As I recall...

From the time I boxed them up and called FedEx for pickup, till they were back in my hands was a scoche over a month. The receiver, buttstock, and forend with the hanger have to go. When they come back, the new barrels are marked as proofed, and are serialized to the receiver they are fitted to. The .500 barrel also came with sights equipped, and the .204 barrel had a Weaver type scope base installed. Forend screws come with each barrel. Because I was the owner, and they were going in for 'repair', and coming back to me, they don't have to go through an FFL for shipping or receiving, they come right to your door if you choose.
    I'm eyeballing a .223 varmint type that's on the rack at the store, and have some other combinations in mind for that one, it's padded, has an elevated comb making it more useable with a scope, and a pretty darned nice trigger. It may even get 'some' shotgun barrels, especially the rifled 20 and 12 gauge types. I picked up one of the Lyman 12 ga sabot moulds that casts up a hollow base 500+ gr. slug that slips into a WW AA wad, and includes load data for loads to 1400+ fps. Folks I've talked to say they shoot as well as the BRI's in their guns, and at the prices of loaded ammunition, has to be worth a shot if it'll make it cheaper and easier to shoot!

Give some of Ranger ricks bullets a try.

I found the 610's at 1480 dont kick nearly as hard as 440's at 1890.

I am going to try some more of the 535 Keith style bullets.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default I noticed that, too...

but my bullet choices for the first go-round were the 325 and 500 gr. Hornady's. The lighter bullet gave me more, and a sharper, perceived recoil. Different buttstock would make a world of difference on this one. That 1871 Buffalo buttstock wasn't necessarily designed to reduce recoil effects!
    Did NOT draw my moose tag this year, and that keeps me out of drawing elk, speed goat, or deer special permits. I'm thinking this gun is going to go into a stand with me on the in-law's place and see if I can't dump a whitetail with it......
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 05-30-2008 at 05:06. Reason: .

I've got the 500 in a handgun, but frankly it looks a lot more interesting and useful as a rifle round. I think you've figured out the way that will make that happen for me.

But if I want to really dream, it's easy to imagine it in a double rifle. If Remington would ever come through with the 45-70 double they've had on the books for the last three years, a rebarrel of that would probably be the only way to get a double 500 in my price range.

Keep us posted on how that 500 barrel shapes up at the range and on hunts!