Thread: sleeping bags

Default sleeping bags

Im comparing sleeping bags for warmth and quality . Im interested in synthetic filled bags only . Im also interested in a - 20 degree bag . I've been checking out the Mountain Hardware , Marmit , North Face and Out-door Research .

There all good names . I thought the North Face had a little bit more room since all sub zero bags are mummy style . Undecided . I heard Mountain Hardware was a excellant bag , but that was from a sales person .

Go see Marc at Wiggys AK and check out the Ultima Thule. It is a "real" - 20 bag not a it will keep you alive at -20 bag! I have the 0* ultralight and it a true 0* bag unlike the -15 mountaineering bag it replaced wich was a +15 at best. Also you can keep the wiggys bags in their stuff sack for storage.

I've got a marmot bag that I got years ago. I think it is the cloud 9. Been pretty happy with it. It is a bit on the heavy side for sheep hunting extreme adventures, but it is nice and warm and fairly light. I think it is 4 lbs.

Default wiggy's

I totally forgot about looking at Wiggy bags . I just checked out the Hunter Ultima Thule w/hood . I believe Wiggy's is the only sub zero bag that comes in rectangular size . Awesome........

I'll second Wiggy's. They truly keep you comfortable at the temperatures they are rated for. My only criticism is be careful of getting too low of a rating; if you get a -20 bag and use if for sheep when it's 50 it will keep you too warm and you'll sweat at night...they are that good. I have the Ultima Thule with overbag and only used the combo once on a moose hunt before I stripped off the overbag to get a little cooler.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Lujon, if your bag is a 0 degree bag then you have the SuperLight bag, the Ultralight is a 20 degree bag which is what I have. For fall/late fall hunting I believe a 0 degree bag is more than sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Lujon, if your bag is a 0 degree bag then you have the SuperLight bag, the Ultralight is a 20 degree bag which is what I have. For fall/late fall hunting I believe a 0 degree bag is more than sufficient.
    U R right fingers got ahead of brain I guess... I actually have the FTRSS so it is my do it all bag. I would like a 20* bag specific for sheep but for now I will haul the 0* bag and like it since the budget isn't there for a top end winter hunt bag AND a sheep bag.

FTRSS Wiggy all the way, love mine and will never change.

I have an old wiggy's Ultima Thule (15-20 years old). The only thing that I don't like about this bag is the lack of a collar. Are there collars in the new production bags?

Default Primaloft for me

-20 synthetic bag is a lot of bulk and weight unless snowmachining / mushing. I use an Integral Designs +20 Primaloft filled with Pertex shell. I sleep with all my clothes on. Been down to below zero with no ill effects. Use a good pad and inside a tent. Once below zero, get a down bag as moisture is not an issue. Lay maps and such over your chest, wrap your feet in your coat with chemical heat packs are simple ways to add warmth with out extra weight. Hot water bottles at your feet and crotch will add 20-30 degrees to your system. If you carry it on your back, make it a system and use it for multiply things to include warmth while sleeping.

TNF has a life time guarantee on the fill so one bag will last you forever. They can be slightly under temp rated but if you should not really be after temp ratings, they are meaningless. TNF is owned by Vanity which are said to have them going back to their roots and so far looks good but not really.

Mountain Hardware is OK, not a fan of their stuff but their new bags have promise. Owned by Columbia and things have changed to the worse.

Marmot makes good stuff once again and they went to Primaloft. They are owned by K2 or the parent company if my memory serves me correct.

good luck

The bad thing about down bags in vary cold weather is moisture from you warm body. Bags have been weighed from day to day. The increase of weight from one day to the next is significant.

Wiggy bag's are the only bag that I have ever found to be the equal of the old Woods Sleeping robs out of Canada (I have not been able to find for years.) The best bag I ever used was the four seasons by Woods. I just happen to believe that Wiggy's bag are the equal.

Just to many folks in Alaska using them without complaint to ignore them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Wiggy's and OR

I have used probably 20 different bags (and spend an average of 2 weeks a month in one) over the past decade or so and Wiggy's is one of my favorite. My complaint with Wiggy's are that they are a little heavy and bulky. For a base camp bag or a short alpine trek bag they are great. In SE I have spent more than one night in a wet bag and been happy it was Wiggy's.

for long max load trips OR makes a great down bag with a waterproof breathable shell, very light and warm. When I get the funds this is my next sack.

If I could have only one sack though I would probably go for the Wiggy's.