Thread: mackeral for bait

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default mackeral for bait

was at wal mart in eagle river the other day and they have whole mackeral for sale in the bait freezer. i thought about buying some but it was poor quality, better than the herring but not much. octopus is too expensive so i opted to risk it and catch or bait. so has anyone used mackeral for bait and what did you think? might be able to get it cheaper at sagaya and better quality. i believe it was 3.99 per pound when i worked there 10 years ago. sagaya also sold those baby octopus for cheap 2.99 per pound i believe that would stay on the hook real good ill bet.

mackel works of but it is very soft. definatly open the package and put rock salt in it so it dries it out a bit. hering in town is in poor shape(alaska bait). i use to get small squid at carrs on boniface when they have it for $3 for 6. they were small and you could fill with oil or attractant. call 10th and m seafood to check the price there herring is in better shape. also suggest stretchy string over bait to help keep it on the line/hook. it works well but not everyone uses it. hope i helped you out. jeff

A buddy of mine used that stuff and caught 2 over 150#'s out of whittier i would say it works

When longlining for halibut, sometimes we'll find a few mackeral in the boxes of frozen bait herring. Not one to waste bait, I always cut 'em up and put 'em on. They've actually been pretty successful on both halibut and cod. They're soft fleshed, but their skin is a little tougher than herring flesh, so I think it's a wash. They stay on well enough that the bait is still sometimes on the hook in the halibut's mouth after a 6 hour soak, and that is a rare occurance for herring.

Great Chum bait do to them being real oily. in Maryland I use to get them in April and then grind them up into chum for shark season. Ended up with about 5-6 5 gal buckets of chum. To harden them up put rock salt over them. This will make them last longer. They will work on halibut unless they become stubborn and only want herring which has happen to me a coule of times.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Why can't we get good herring at stores in AK? It's always puzzled me....

In WA we could get fresh herring (never frozen) and anchovies no problem.

Good thing I can't stand trolling